1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper journalists paid less than ... janitors?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

According to this story, journalists make an average of nearly $22 grand in 2008, and 50 years ago, made less than 3 grand. Janitors, according to their stats, made $3,000 more today and $500 more in 1958:

http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Article/MSN-2146-Salaries-and-Promotions-What-Was-Your-Salary-Worth-50-Years-Ago/?sc_extcmp=JS_2146_home1&SiteId=cbmsnhp42146&ArticleID=2146&gt1=23000&cbRecursionCnt=1&cbsid=6029e041e5c8430789d6d11b40ea4fe2-316165899-J1-5

I would hope that their figure for today isn't accurate, although the cynical person in me believes it's true. And if it isn't, it sure is heading that way.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Wouldn't surprise me at all. I worked a couple of gigs that didn't pay shit. But would always prefer that over cleaning up after other people.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

When I first got into the business in Feb. 2000, I made $9.50 an hour, or about $19K a year. I was jumping for joy at the time.

Amazing how much changes in a decade.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There's a shit-ton of people who want to be journalists.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I know janitors who worked as a unionized employee at a Detroit Three auto plant. They make, and I'm not kidding here, more than $100,000 a year. I'm dead serious.

Now, the few I know work straight midnights (shift premium) and weekends (shift premium) and every holiday they can (shift premium).

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Um, Pete, that's pretty much what we work.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Sort, of yes. Without the shift premium and midnight shift in most cases.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Of course, in janitor-ism vs. journalism, the creed nowadays is "Do more with more." Garbage, that is.

9. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

My first job in the business was in 1994 in Oklahoma ... for $6.75 an hour, which extended out to $13,500 a year before taxes.

Imagine my joy when I covered the city budget hearings and discovered the janitors at the library were starting at $6.88 an hour.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

A guy I went to high school with is a bus driver for the county we grew up in. He makes over $60K a year.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Read the HuffPost piece about Newspaper Reporter ranking beneath janitor, chauffeur, bus driver and public school teacher and between seaman and stevedore, at number 180, in terms of most desirable jobs based on pay, job prospects, satisfaction and working conditions.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Good Lord. Really?

Not bad for having summers off.

Draft saved Draft deleted