1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper jobs in Northern Kentucky

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dwayne T. Robinson, Jul 12, 2006.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i thought shelbyville was right next to springfield. damn those lemon-tree stealing bastards!

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Centre is DIII. Not NAIA.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Damn, beat me to it.

But in the Behind the Laughter episode, at the end, the narrator says and life can get back to normal for this northern Kentucky family.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

They're taking the lemon tree back to Springfield. Shake your fist at them, boy.

[​IMG]

5. Thanks for the general good wishes from everyone. Now let me see if I can address some specific comments.

Covert copy editor:

"First of all, are you looking at sports or any reporting job in general?"

If I had my pick of any department within the editorial world of newspapers, it would be sports or --- in the rare world of newspapers that do this kind of thing --- travel writing. I'd say about three-fourths of my work experience is in sports (out of about a 17-year career), and I appear to be one of those rare sports birds who would rather copy edit and design than report, although I know that at all but many of the biggest papers I would do both. And I'm perfectly fine with that.
    I'm also pretty experienced at news page design and copy editing and enjoy those things, too, but news would probably by No. 2 on my preference list if I had a choice. In all honesty, my hard-news reporting skills are what need the most work, since I've only really starting nurturing them over the past couple of years or so. Within that same time frame, I've also developed into a pretty decent news feature writer, if I do say so myself, and I really enjoy that type of writing, too.

And as far as the former editor of the Jessamine Journal goes, anyone who takes on Mitch McConnell has to be OK in my book.

Freelance Hack and dixiehack: The travel in terms of distance doesn't bother me. I used to drive 50 miles one way to a former job in the Pittsburgh area --- and in the heart of winter it got pretty hairy --- but what does bother me is the wear and tear on my car. In my Texas sports editing job, I followed our main high school team to every game both home and away if at all possible (through all the seasons --- football, volleyball, basketball, baseball and softball, etc.), and the miles piled up like crazy and I could feel my car falling apart. That was before gas prices got out of control, and because I lived about 35 miles from my office, I found myself filling up nearly every other day. Now that I work within about 7 miles from home, I've saved a ton of money and trouble.

Barsuk: Thanks for the positive vibes. I'll take them to heart.

Thanks again, everyone. Now let's all sit back and enjoy a nice, cool glass of turnip juice.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

We don't drink turnip juice in Kentucky. We prefer bourbon.

7. "We don't drink turnip juice in Kentucky. We prefer bourbon."

Hey, I'm just trying to keep up with the Simpsons references :)

8. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

Late gettin' to this party, but I will offer this regarding LCNI ... I've worked for them for about five years, and it's a very good place to work. Just a very good company. Not paying big-city money for sure, but they care about their papers and communities infinitely more than my previous stops.

And they're all over Kentucky, so that could work for you. Here's a link to their jobs board.

http://www.lcni.com/jobs/

There's also a link there for their list of properties by state. Good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted