1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper jobs in North Carolina

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wsreader, Jan 25, 2009.

1. RTJ

RTJ Member

Gotta love the unprovoked attacks. At no point does a specific post count give you the right to be a jerk.

2. Raisin Ham

Raisin Ham Member

Nah, wasn't any less of a jerk even when post count was lower.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I spy dinner. 8)

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

jrydun,

Here's something positive:

For all the problems in this industry, there is still an absolutely amazing amount of incredible work being done. And you know what? That's a testament to the people in it who are still doing the legwork and ground work, despite everything.

Journalists often are among the hardest-working, most intelligent, informed, thoughtful and analytical/critical-but-still-open-minded and sympathetic, empathetic and passionate people around.

It is are part, only part, of what I've always loved about the field -- the depth of most of the people in it.

The bulk of the negativity you're citing, unfortunately, is due at least in significant part, to an almost overwhelming sense that, seemingly...none of that matters very much anymore.

It's a crying shame -- for us, for newspapers, for the media business in general, and, although it is yet to be realized, for society, too.

Sure, we can be combative pricks, as you say, but usually, only when we have to be. And in our role, that used to be a good thing. It still is, in my book, but, as I said, that is neither here nor there anymore.

Before you go accusing anybody here of being unwilling to change, or evolve with the times, or become involved in the next big thing, you should realize that many of us have not only been willing but also pushing and pleading and working, to do just that, as much as we possibly can.

All in the hope of keeping our jobs/careers/livelihoods alive.

And in many cases, none of that has mattered, either.

If there were many positive things to say right now, we'd be saying them.

5. jrydun

jrydun New Member

WT,

Thanks for the response. Again, I'm not deterred the slightest bit. I absolutely want to break into this field regardless of how the industry comes off, whether it's still using newspaper as a medium, or online. I just find it aggravating that all I'm here for is some help and perspective and to be talked down to.

6. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Grammatical errors aside, great post.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you still never got to your point now, did you?

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

really, what's that guy's problem? i could give two shits how many posts i have ... i guess he has post envy.

9. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Is that anything like penis envy? Wait .. that wasn't funny. In fact, that was just stupid. I'll shut up now.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

naw, that's kinda what i was going for. but if so, didn't you just call me stupid? i'm so not for sure.

christ, dun is so smart, he's confusing the rest of us ... damn.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You'd like to think so, you'd hope that's the case. And yet...

12. RTJ

RTJ Member

My problem was the unprovoked attack. Not the amount of posts. I may have jumped the gun by assuming you were going after jrydun because he was a new poster. If so, I apologize.

Draft saved Draft deleted