1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper jobs in North Carolina

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wsreader, Jan 25, 2009.

1. wsreader

wsreader New Member

Newspaper Professionals (posted 1/23/09)
    Due to growth and acquisition We need experienced newspaper professionals. Heartland Publications is seeking experienced newspaper professionals that would like to take their drive and apply it towards a successful career in North Carolina. We develop our own managers, rather than hiring people strictly based on their degree or experience. Our field of expertise is acquisition and growth of newspaper companies. To accomplish this we need people that are able to communicate with their customers and coworkers in an effective manner while helping to operate and grow our companies. You must be able to provide the human interaction our clients and employees need to be successful. We currently have several employment opportunities at weekly and small daily newspapers in North Carolina in the following positions: General Managers, Editors, Sports Editors, Reporters, Graphics Designers, Advertising Managers, Salespeople, Outbound Telemarketers, Circulation Managers, District Managers, Production Managers, Goss Pressmen, Mailroom Managers, Successful candidates must be: Team Oriented, Aggressive, Positive, Goal Oriented and Results Driven. Successful applicants will have the opportunity to earn an above average income for newspapers our size and participate in all of our health and retirement programs. Qualified candidates will have the opportunity to help us manage and run one of our publications. This is a great opportunity for you to join a growing company. Our publications are located mostly in Micropolitan markets adjoining larger Metropolitan communities like Charlotte, Raleigh, and Fayetteville. This translates to small town living with big town amenities only a short drive away. Email your resume to jcraig@heartlandpublications.com or mail your resume to Joseph Craig, Heartland Publications, PO BOX 1085, Lumberton NC 28359-1085.

2. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

A friend of mine got cut from a "Heartless" Publications because he "made too much money" when his paper was bought.

3. wsreader

wsreader New Member

So those of us in the market should shy away from this company? Does anyone out there have any positive or negative experiences to share about Heartland Publications?

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Ping Sam Mills, ping Sam Mills ...

They're the southern version of JRC.

5. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

wsreader,

If you're looking to get into journalism in this economic climate, shying away from a place probably isn't a good idea. With that said, you better not have high expectations about working for Heartless.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Due to growth?

Newspapers are growing?

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Growth = profit margin.

8. jrydun

jrydun New Member

I've no doubt I lack the experience they're looking for; but as someone fresh out of college trying to make it in this field, should I include articles I've written? If so, how many? My resume at this point is rough.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Exactly. What "Heartland" did in Mount Airy was despicable. I knew someone who worked in Laurinburg. It was bad, then "Heartland" bought it and, shockingly, it got worse.

SCEditor's edit was perfection.

wsreader ... Run. Fast. Now.

10. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

This should tell you what you need to know. The paper I used to work at, which wasn't "Heartless" when I was there, fires its editor because he was making too much money. He's an incredibly talented journalist, my boss at the shop I'm at now, and has won a ton of awards. But he made too much money, so they canned him.

The guy who replaced him is a photographer with very little writing/editing/designing background.

But I bet he came half-price.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

First, we have a Jobs board.

Second and finally, nobody should send their resumes to any Heartland paper. Ever.

12. jrydun

jrydun New Member

A job is better than no job wouldn't you say?

Draft saved Draft deleted