1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper in Fort Myers, Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Didn't know really where to put this, so move it if need be. I'm could be making a move to the Fort Myers area in the near future and I was wondering if anyone had any helpful information on the papers down there. Obviously there must be a metro and then smaller papers in the nearby communities. With the metro, what's the circulation, how big is the staff and is there a lot of movement? Are any of the smaller papers worth working for? Again, any information would be helpful. Thanks.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Be prepared to spend a fortune on housing, unless you live 10 or 15 miles inland. Even then, it's dicey.

Fort Myers Press-Herald (Gannett) and Naples Daily News (Scripps) both cover the heck out of the Red Sox and Twins during spring training. The Fort Myers SE, Ed Reed, is a good guy who apparently is beloved by Florida Everblades fans.

Ogden also owns some weeklies down there.

Port Charlotte paper may penetrate some of Fort Myers' circ area, but not much, I don't think.

Circulation numbers from the March audit. Do note that these are skewed slightly by the fact that these are from snowbird season.

NEWS-PRESS, FORT MYERS (LEE CO.) AVG M (M-F) DLY 96,675
    NEWS-PRESS, FORT MYERS (LEE CO.) SUN DLY 115,783
    NEWS-PRESS, FORT MYERS (LEE CO.) SAT M DLY 97,063

DAILY NEWS, NAPLES (COLLIER CO.) SAT M DLY 67,107
    DAILY NEWS, NAPLES (COLLIER CO.) SUN DLY 75,553
    DAILY NEWS, NAPLES (COLLIER CO.) AVG M (M-F) DLY 67,776

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's a Gannett paper, around 90 or 95K, and I came very close to working there before landing my current job.

I can vouch for the ASE, David Kaye.

News-Press columnist Deron Snyder posts here, too.

SE Ed Reed also is a member.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Is there a lot of movement at either daily? Or do guys make their last stop? I wouldn't even mind stringing for a time and doing something on the side. Thanks, by the way, for the tips.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The News-Press is an OK paper overall, and the sports section is quite good, based on my reading the paper at several spring trainings. The Naples paper probably uses more stringers, it's a little thin.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Rumor also has it that Scripps has a company-wide hiring freeze and has had one for some time.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

YOU'RE HIRED!!!

(C'mon, you guys are slipping)

8. Andy Johnston

Andy Johnston New Member

You can also consider the Charlotte Sun, which is about 15-20 miles away in Port Charlotte. Sports has six or seven people and the turnover expected of an under 40,000.

There's the Cape Coral Daily Breeze, which is in the same county as Fort Myers and focuses on a couple of high schools there. It's just to the north of Fort Myers and has a one- or two-man staff.

http://www.sun-herald.com/

http://www.cape-coral-daily-breeze.com/

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

There was a piece I read not so long ago about "mojos," mobile journalists. Can't remember if it was an E&P type piece or a mainstream news article. Anyway, the guy they focused on was a mojo in Fort Myers. He was on the scene of the unveiling of some social circle's calendar. He'd been to three different such events.

They were real big on that project. Don't know if they still are. There was a thread about it here, but I looked for it and couldn't find it. They did have a nice batch of layoffs a while ago, though.

10. david kaye

david kaye Member

We had a nice batch of layoffs?

I must have missed that.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

david, this guy wants you to fess up.

[​IMG]

;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. david kaye

david kaye Member