1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper headlines in movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by AreaMan, Oct 26, 2009.

1. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

It always bugs me to see the headlines of a newspaper in a movie where the first letter of every word is capitalized (Man Bites Dog).
    What was worse was that I once worked for a paper that did the same thing while I was there. They eventually switched (welcome to the late-20th century, hometown daily), but not Hollywood.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Fascinating. Now if someone could just find out who was the running back on Ricky's highlight tape in "Boyz N The Hood," I'd be all set.

Been wondering about that for years, almost to the point of trying to find an email address for John Singleton. Whoever that guy was, he could play.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I always found it amusing that the Air Bud movies also would have coverage of every youth sport that Bud plays in on the front page.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

"WE LANDED ON THE MOON!"

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

My shop still does. Annoys the fuck out of me.

6. partain

partain Member

What bothers me is the sports graphic that appears on the back of many television show newspapers. It's the same sports head we used at my high school newspaper, and of course, has no business ever being used on even a pretend professional paper. I'm sure you've all seen it, it's got various sports equipment inserted into the word "Sports."

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

My favorite is the Lincoln squirrel sequence

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

AMERICA'S FAVORITE PENCIL
    #2 Is #1

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I thought the newspapers from "The Natural" describing the Knights looked very realistic for the time period.

10. the fop

the fop Member

When I was at the Plain Dealer, a few of us liked how one of the PD headlines in Major League (can't remember if it was the Livingston one or the Graeff one) was like more than a column short in the third leg.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

My great-uncles name can be seen in the newspapers that are shuffled through during Raging Bull. He fought LaMotta three times, losing to him twice (I believe).

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

MONDALE TO HART: WHERE'S THE BEEF?

Draft saved Draft deleted