1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper headlines in movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by AreaMan, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Loved reading Let's Play Hockey when I was a kid ... always hoping our team would be included in the rankings.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Best movie headlines ever:

FARGIN' WAR!

or

Moroni Deported to Sweden
    Says He's Not From There

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't pay attention to headlines in movies unless they are spinning.

4. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Bad headline writing in movies is one of my pet peeves.

Another one is bad breaks in a show's title.
    For example:
    It's Always Sunny in
    Philadelphia​

But, I noticed this year, they changed and moved "in" to the second line. That use to bug the f outta me.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Passengers certain to die!

Airline negligent

There's a sale at Penney's!

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

the unsung hero in "the notebook" is the paginator who laid out the society page rachel mcadams reads when she's being fitted for her wedding dress with her bridesmaids and mom. her wedding announcement ledes the page, but under the fold in the right corner is the story of noah building the plantation back up all pretty. the story causes mcadams to faint. and it puts the wheels into motion for her to go see him after the 7-year split, which leads to them getting back together forever.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Petty gripe: The Movieland Newspaper Prop shop has yet to adjust to the new web width.

8. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

From TV:

Man Loses Pants, Life
    Heroic Beaver Rescue Falls Short

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The only thing worse on the Sopranos then the Newark Star Ledger was the crew's lack of understanding of sports gambling

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Here's something you probably didn't know about "The Maltese Falcon" -- and newspapers in movies:

http://baseballresearcher.blogspot.com/2009/10/stuff-that-dreams-are-made-of.html

(And by the way, as a postscript: SABR member Merritt Clifton claimed the catcher in the photo was SF Seals backstop Joe Sprinz. Unfortunately, he was relying on memory and there's been no other confirmation of that, to my knowledge.)

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The Simpsons always have good ones. Here's a site devoted to all of the newspaper headlines from the Simpsons.

http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/lists/newspaper

My favorite is from season 15: The LennySaver: Carl is great!

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You would!

Draft saved Draft deleted