1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper headlines in movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by AreaMan, Oct 26, 2009.

1. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

I was recently watching a movie on Lifetime (with the wife, mind you) and had to chuckle when I saw several headlines displayed in the "newspaper."

The headlines themselves weren't too bad, but there was a nice period at the end of each one.

"Big Lake murderer strikes again."

Just wondered if anyone else got a chuckle out of how goofy those headlines can be in movies. Anybody have any examples?

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

While watching football on Fox yesterday, I got a chuckle from the baseball commercials.

They involved newspapers with headlines about the game.

Not Web Sites. HAH! Take that!

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Best one I ever saw was in Election. There's a mock-up of the Omaha World-Herald when Matthew Broderick's character is fired for changing the results of the school election.

If you freeze-frame and read the body copy, it's director/writer Alexander Payne chastising you:

"If you've paused the film in order to read this entire article, your time would be better spent renting Citizen Ruth (1996) from your local video store. Do you know how hard it is to write these fake few stories for newspaper movie props? I've got better things to do."

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

That's great. Another reason to love that movie.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

"Scranton Area Paper Company, Dunder Mifflin, Apologizes to Valued Client; Some Companies Still Know How Business is Done."

6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

" 'Wha' Happened?' Canceled Due to Complete Lack of Interest"

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Funny.

I always frame-by-frame it whenever someone is reading a newspaper in a movie. Haven't read anything as funny as this, though.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I've found spelling mistakes in horror movies before. I live a sad life.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Several episodes of The Sopranos began with Tony picking up the Newark Star-Ledger out of his driveway and reading some new story about his or his family's illegal activity.

Wasn't very well done, though, which was disappointing from a show that seemingly had such attention-to-detail about everything else. Not only did the headlines not square up (i.e., a two-deck head with five words in the top deck and one in the bottom one), but the body-copy was usually a lede and then jibberish filler copy.

The newspaper stories from Season 5 of The Wire, on the other hand, actually read like real news copy. Of course, creator David Simon is a former newspaper reporter, so you'd expect that.

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

The night I went to see The Paper, the very rag I used to work for had emblazoned across its tabloid front: Got Ya!, about the arrest of a black suspect in a murder.

I shit you not.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

The Chicago Sun-Times designer who laid out the feature story in "Never Been Kissed" deserved to be fired, post haste.

12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

The full-page tabloid front in The Mighty Ducks that previews a youth hockey game always makes me giggle.

Draft saved Draft deleted