1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper Execs Launch Group to 'Fight Back'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Prince of Persia, Feb 2, 2009.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. harbinger

harbinger Member

I found most of the article encouraging. At least somebody is making an effort. But if they're going to blame the recession for all of their problems, they should show a commitment to restaffing as the recession eases. Any takers?

Oh, and I found this laughable:

3. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

Of course, many don't think the Recession will "ease" for at least 18-24 months.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Managers have been getting laid off too. No one is safe.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This is partially true, but partially incorrect. The revenue problem is certainly affected by the recession, but we do have an audience problem.

That problem is that older newspaper readers are dying off. Younger readers are going online and not paying for content. We haven't yet figured out how to effectively turn online content into a viable revenue stream. Until we do, newspapers will continue to suffer.

I do believe there will come a time that most readers will prefer online content and advertising will summarily follow them to web. We need to find out a way to survive until online advertising can pull its weight in the business model.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I agree with most of this, but the part I'm not sure of is the second graf:

"This wrongheaded perception stems from the economic recession that’s affected all advertising-based businesses, and from the myth that newspapers no longer attract the public support they once enjoyed."

There is a wrong-headed perception regarding newspapers, or at least, news outlets, and the need for and popularity of them. But I don't think the recession is the primary culprit.

It is the cheapening of the product that has occurred because people don't have to pay for it anymore.

This is the real key. And until newspaper executives start acknowledging it, and doing something about it -- even if it is just making people pay for online reading (yes, I know that won't be enough, and shouldn't be all that happens, but it's the principle of the thing), nothing will change and that current "perception" will continue to be the reality.

The simple fact is, people expect to get this product for free now. And that's what's killing us, not the recession, even as bad as that is, and even though it surely is having an effect on the business right now.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This strikes me as very odd. A PR campaign for newspapers.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

More flaks weren't going to get these guys out of trouble, either.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

We're not going to take it.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Our paper ran a full-page color Newspaper Project ad today.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief. The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our profit margins - we did.
    [winks]
    But you can't hold a whole industry responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole capitalist system? And if the whole capitalism system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our economy in general? I put it to you, America, isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

Draft saved Draft deleted