1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper exchange for Inauguration Day papers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jan 16, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I know. I know. I’m a dinosaur, but I like to collect history
    And I was wondering if anyone wanted to do a newspaper exchange for Inauguration Day papers.
    You send me a copy of your metro, and I send you a copy of mine for the Jan. 21 papers. Or, hell, I’ll send you some money to grab a copy for me.
    PM me if you are interested.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Good luck. Couldn't find a second copy of my paper's post-Election Day issue no matter how hard I tried. I bought the last one at 7-Eleven, and then couldn't find any more in the newsroom, either.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

We were going to have some sort of special inauguration thing. I don't know if it would have been a full section or what.

It sold NO ads. We can't cancel it because we plugged it, although the house ads weren't specific in what we would do. I think now it will just be two pages in the middle of a section in color.

5. MoeLarryCurly

MoeLarryCurly New Member

I'd offer to exchange ours, but know how idiotic our news department and uppers on that side of the office are the big story with the big art the day after will be about a guy helping an old lady cross the street.

Or it will be about 10 people getting together at a coffee shop talking about how historic it is because you know, that angle hasn't been covered, ever.

Obama will be on like A5....one pic, one 12 inch AP story.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So that is what's mean by "hyper-local", eh?

7. apeman33

Yes, because it's assumed your readers don't want anything outside of their local area in your paper....

...until such time as they launch into you to demand an explanation as to why that big national story wasn't in your paper.

8. KG

KG Active Member

I know I'll get the early edition here, but the special, second edition won't come out until about noon. I'm usually sleeping by then. I've tried to sweet-talk someone into putting a couple aside for me, but I don't know if he'll remember.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

People actually PRINT special editions anymore??

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

It will be difficult to top what the Washington Post is doing for inauguration day.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Bump as a friendly reminder.

12. apeman33

We still print the "progress" edition. Five or six sections which are basically free articles to propagandize regional businesses in exchange for buying big ads. It takes six weeks to get ready for print. Thank goodness they don't want sports stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted