1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper endorsements

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tracy Ringolsby, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

DMN endorses McCain.

A no-brainer. I was told by my paperboy buddy that hundreds of DMN subscribers canceled when they endorsed Obama over Hillary. Gotta keep the suburbanites that are 70% of their readership happy.

Sunday endorsements from other papers on the link.

http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&ct=us/0-0&fp=48fc6349fe820de0&ei=eIT8SN_dNoriggP84YmNCQ&url=http%3A//ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hr5hmYnjJMz50Swp8ech-tpt4zoAD93T42980&cid=1260257479&usg=AFQjCNEtSqo6q1tDLECCNrtMj5Q-wvQkJg

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

In the day before the Internet and 24-hour news networks, endorsements by newspapers probably made sense. They're the ones who covered city hall or the state capitol and knew who did a good job and who didn't. Now everyone largely has access to much the same information and it's easier to decide for yourself.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Really? There are only five institutions traveling with each candidate day to day. They have far more access to officials and sources. I'll take their first-hand reported stories before those reporting what others are reporting.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Exactly. I've always thought it was idiotic, just as much so as if it was something like, "The Boston Globe endorses the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl..."

Who gives a fuck who your paper endorses? But those who work in the editorial sections of most papers have this self-importance to them that I've never understood.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

It might have made sense when you had two or three newspapers in a community. Fifty years ago newspapers were often very partisan on their editorial pages. There was an identification as a Democratic or Republican newspaper.

I think one thing against newspaper editorials is that the people who write them don't sign them. It is the publisher's opinion ultimately, even if it is designated as an editorial board.

6. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

What I prefer is when an editorial board writes a piece explaining what it believes to be the positives and negatives of each candidate for a race. That way, no matter which way you lean, you have a chance of learning something useful, and the paper doesn't alienate part of its readership. This approach is especially helpful in primary elections and in elections for low-profile county and state offices with which voters are barely familiar.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Anchorage Daily News endorses Obama.

http://www.adn.com/opinion/story/567867.html

Draft saved Draft deleted