1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper endorsements

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tracy Ringolsby, Oct 18, 2008.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I suppose.
    I wonder if Countrywide was a good lender?
    Or Washington Mutual a banker?
    Or GM or Ford an automaker?
    Mervyns a retailer?
    I wonder if Linens 'n Things knew something about homegoods?
    Did Shoe Pavilion sell shoes? Or Wickes or Levitz?

The infestation isn't our own.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I have no idea what you're talking about.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I've always wondered why papers make endorsements. Aren't newspapers *supposed* to be neutral? I know it is the editorial board that does this, but do you think the average person knows that (or cares)? I hear media bias a lot from my wife's family (and I'm sure it's everywhere - that paper is liberal, that paper is conservative). Why fan the flames?

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

A reader's take:

Though we are (fingers crossed) settled now, we had a stretch where we lived in six cities in ten years. Once, when we had moved shortly before the election, my only votes based solely on my own analysis were for governor and senator. I used the newspaper's endorsements even for major local races that time. If we had lived someplace for a year, I knew on my own who I wanted on the county commission and the school board, but the register of wills? And all the judges?

The paper's editorial stance was of no consequence. I happily voted against the Pulliam paper's choices in one town.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Nah, that takes too much effort. But if Temple can Twitter it ...

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003875478

To update the numbers mentioned in the story
    http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003875517

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Newspapers should be ready, willing and able to alienate large segments of their readership by carrying unflattering coverage of topics near and dear to the hearts of certain segments of their audiences. Such as big business, HMOs, union leadership, the enivronment, environmental activists, the local NFL franchise, etc.

They need not go out of their way to alienate nearly half of their audience simply by saying, "We favor candidate A over candidate B,'' especially when a good share of the reason is sheer political leanings.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I believe newspapers should not only dispense with endorsements, but with editorials. BUT, endorsements do matter down-ballot. My son was a manager for a losing state rep campaign while he was at BU. They sweated the Globe's endorsement big-time, because a HUGE percentage of voters, including many well-informed citizens, are only vaguely aware of state legislature by-elections,

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

To me, if we want to trust that the readers should know the difference between news coverage and the editorial page, then a newspaper should trust that readers know the difference between a newspaper employee's political beliefs and the news coverage.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

We've had this round-and-round several times on here.
    Vote. Vote all you want. Vote in every election. Show up to the special Water Board fucking runoff election.
    But, if you cover Texas don't wear a Longhorn polo in the pressbox. If you're a journalist, don't put up a yard sign. No one is asking you to curb your beliefs. It's at matter of perception and professionalism.
    (Not to mention, in the biggest newsrooms and media outlets in this country, you can be fired for it.)

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

See, I actually think they DO matter for certain undecided voters, and in the swing states, that could make a difference.

I can't accept the notion that when the L.A. Times breaks from recent history and decides to endorse somebody -- and picks Obama -- that it's not going to matter to at least some people in Southern California.

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

Presidential picks aside, endorsements do have value for issues. Mrs. Editude, not unlike many grownups, is pressed for time and trusts our periodical to provide a rare no-agenda look behind the ballot arguments. Doesn't mean she copies the recommendations, but she is aware of a reasoned point of view.

Draft saved Draft deleted