1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper endorsements

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tracy Ringolsby, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Maybe it is just me but does anybody find it ironic that newspapers feel that their endorsements of candidates are important? Here's an industry that is falling apart but we are experts on how other business, whether it is a sports franchise or a government, should be run. I know, I know, endorsements are a long standing part of the newspaper business, but I guess I watch so many people suffering in the newspaper business that it rankles me that the people who have run our business into the ground feel they are so qualitifed to tell everybody else how to run their business. If we have so much insight, why can't we fix our own problems?
  2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I don't know that I disagree with you, Tracy, but it's as you said: It's always been done. At this point, it'd be more of a shocker if a newspaper didn't endorse candidates.
  3. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Good point, Tracy. I know my former paper is losing tons of money and was threatening to fold or sell before getting 200 people to take buyouts and now, they think they can tell people who to vote for? Forget it.
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

"We've always done it that way."

Doesn't make it right.
  5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Didn't say it did.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I understand that. That wasn't directed toward you personally.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Ah. Gotcha.
  8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

Saw a poll on AOL where more than 60 percent of those users say a newspaper endorsement doesn't matter to them.

I would have guessed, and hoped, that the number was even higher.

Given what many in the public see as the lean to the left in the media, I would think that only an endorsement of a Republican would be cause for pause nowadays. When the Chicago Tribune endorses Obama, I think people either yawn or figure, game over.
  9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I had similar sentiments yesterday. Then I looked at the comments sections of the postings.
    Hundreds and hundreds deep. 96.242452526% (at glance) thoughtful.
    Circulation is down. We're being stabbed and cut at every turn.
    But, more people are reading our work then ever. There is value in the information. Value in the opinion. Our broken model is unable to find a way to capitalize. That is our downfall, not our work.
  10. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I don't think our problem is what we do as writers, photogs, etc. It's the big-picture decisions that kill us. With that in mind, papers should move in this direction: Columnists give their personal endorsements. The paper, as an institution, keeps its mouth shut until it stops doing stupid things like cutting the product and increasing the price, outsourcing press production at the expense of deadline and timely deliveries and cutting staff to the point where the product noticeably suffers.
  11. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I never felt a newspaper's endorsement mattered. I'd prefer a newspaper focus on providing as much information and objective analysis as possible so most of us could make up our own minds. But some older readers still think an endorsement matters. I recall situations where a paper didn't make an endorsement, feeling neither candidate was worthy. That's just lame.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The irony that I see is newspapers who endorse candidates, but prohibit their employees from putting up yard signs or bumper stickers.
Draft saved Draft deleted