1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper circulation help

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hookem06, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Hookem06

Hookem06 New Member

Can someone direct me to a like with the country's top 250 newspapers?

I had a link to it stored in my favorite links, but my links were randomly wiped out. I've seen the top 100 list, but I want a bigger list. Thanks.

2. bob

bob Member

All newspapers:
    http://abcas3.accessabc.com/ecirc/newstitlesearchus.asp

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Not necessarily all newspapers. But a pretty good chunk of them.

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Anybody know where/if market saturation/penetration is ranked? In other words, how circulation numbers measure up with market size.

5. Hookem06

Hookem06 New Member

Thanks!

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

There isn't a central database for penetration. Our paper commissioned a marketing/census firm to determine penetration numbers. Advertisers, especially local ones, are very interested in that number.

7. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

The reason I ask is in my region, two papers owned by local families kick ass in penetration when compared to the other corporate papers in the region. In both cases, the locally-owned papers have larger news hole and, in general, a better feel for the pulse of their communities than the corporates (go figure). In neither case is the locally-owned doing anything to write home about online. They are getting by by focusing on the print product.

I am curious if this is true throughout the country or if it's just a snapshot of one area. If I get bored -- and I don't imagine being bored soon in Texas during football season -- I'll get market numbers from wiki and come up with a penetration leaderboard and see.

Draft saved Draft deleted