1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsday to charge for Web access

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Feb 26, 2009.

1. jps

jps Active Member

then we'd better find another genie.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I'm of the mind that, maybe, we ought to try, in some form. Because what we're doing obviously isn't working.

I'm thinking maybe a model that has some things for free ... and other premium items behind a pay wall ... sort of like ESPN Insider. I don't know if it will work. But I know what isn't working ... This.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Somebody in the music industry told me something the other day that I did not know:

That the artists are not making jack squat off iTunes. I'm not sure iTunes is the savior it's being propped up to be.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

How can that be? I can understand that they aren't making much ... at 99 cents a pop, there's not a whole lot of coin to go around. But 0 % ... I don't think that can be true. Otherwise, why would any of them sell their music that way?

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Why would anyone be in the music business, then, if you aren't paid a single cent for your work?

I just don't understand.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Oh. OK. Where I live "jack squat" means "absolutely nothing" ... so that's where the confusion is, I guess.

If she actually meant "a pittance" ... that's not all that surprising, then. Music acts never made much on LPs, 8-track, cassette tapes or CDs ... why would one expect them to rack up on itunes at 99 cents a pop?

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Wouldn't an approximately $10 album on iTunes be a lot cheaper to produce than a $10 CD, and in theory provide more money for the artists? I forget how much CD/cassette/record production took out of the pie, but it seemed like a decent enough amount.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I don't think we were ever in danger of having a day that music died (rimshot), but my point was that at least someone is making money off music. I imagine the iTunes profits are split about the same way CD/tape and all other sales profits are split.

Someone making money is better than no one making money, which seemed like it might be the future at the height of Napster.

9. JackS

JackS Member

I already mentioned that you couldn't put the toothpaste back in the tube. Is putting a genie back in a bottle more difficult? I've never attempted.

Also, I want to clarify that my last name is not squat.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I sure hope it's not "Shit" because I've heard of Jack Shit, too.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I think it depends on whether the genie is brushing his teeth.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There are a few hundred million wannabe musicians out there and enough consumer income coming into the industry for a significantly smaller number.

Of course they are making jack squat. Supply, demand.

Draft saved Draft deleted