1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsday sports: Don't worry, be happy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, Apr 21, 2010.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Sorry if a db.

http://www.observer.com/2010/media/newsdays-sports-page-its-all-good

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You sorta suspected that if and when a story like this came down the pike,
    the paper in question was odds-on to be the subject, under its current
    ownership.

Stay away, LBJ. Stay FAR away.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

This fluffy policy is so in Ray Barone's wheelhouse...

4. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

Another once-great paper that will ruin any fish it wraps. Big ups to Wally Matthews for telling them to stick it. Dumbing it down is one thing (and not a good one). Dulling it down is another. Sounds like USA TODAY, where they prefer columns that have no opinion. Unless it is a really stupid opinion about women in sports from Aunt B. Imagine Newsday covering WW II: "American troops today liberated a place where Germans weren't nice to a lot of Jews and didn't feed them perhaps as well as they should have."

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Sports isn't news.

*ducks and runs*

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I love the classy way Wally Matthews ends the story. Sweeeeet.

7. wallace_matthews

wallace_matthews New Member

Drip, I'm sure you know that I didn't end the story with that quote, the writer did. It was something said over the course of a long interview, and frankly, I'm sure at some point I said worse than that. Would I have chosen for the story to end that way? Of course not. But far be it from me to tell a writer how to write his story, anymore than I would want anyone else to tell me how to write mine. Which, of course, is what all this is about.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Nowhere in the Observer story does it detail the new policy, so how is the reader supposed to reach an objective conclusion?

And, sorry, but I'm tired of hearing about Wally Matthews' heroic stands for journalism whenever he fights with some editor and leaves his latest job.

9. wallace_matthews

wallace_matthews New Member

Never said it was a heroic stand, either. I just made a decision based on my comfort level with my workplace and what I thought I needed to do to support my family. If the writer chose to portray it as anything more than that, his choice. I'm just a guy trying to make a living the best way I know how.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Fair enough. The Observer writer seems to have had a pretty clear agenda.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's not as if Matthews was the only one to speak up. Others did, as well,
    but didn't want to be named -- at least, until they've landed comperable
    employment in environments of greater integrity.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Wally, I left out the world the as in "the way the Wally Matthews story ends."
    Anyway, I'm glad that things have worked out for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted