1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsday eliminates Powell, Howard

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mediator, Dec 5, 2008.

1. JohnnyChan

JohnnyChan Member

If that were the case Wally would have been out the door three months ago

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I don't blame you. It's staggering what's happening not only here but elsewhere.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

They eliminated the position of SPORTS COLUMNIST:

http://www.observer.com/2008/media/dolans-cutting-5-percent-newsday-workforce-more-two-dozen-job-cuts-newsroom-expected

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Some of the 23-year-old schlubs might take offense at the above. If I were them, though, I'd think longer and harder about the days when 23-year-old schlubs become 43-year-old schlubs making, by then, maybe $35,000. That is the future.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

To Jeff's point, readers will still read something good and meaty. Give it to 'em. Check that. SELL it to them. In print and online.
    I need to go be a publisher somewhere. I'm convinced there's still a place for newspapers. I made my students analyze their local paper (some of them are distance learners). Almost all read online. Many wrote that they'd actually prefer to hold a paper in their hands still. But there's no need. Online is the same product. And it is free.
    GIVE ME SOMETHING TO READ! EVERY FREAKING DAY! I WILL PAY FOR IT!

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think people will pay for it.

7. Mizzougrad96

I don't think Jeff was taking a shot at young writers, but the suggestion that readers won't notice when someone like Howard or Powell is eliminated and replaced by someone who is unproven is a very valid one.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Just got an e-mail with a copy of Mancini's memo... reducing photo staff, eliminating THREE sports columnists positions. Shocking blow at the end of a very depressing week in our business.

December 5, 2008

To: Staff

What's Going On

The outlook for revenue requires further expense cuts in the newsroom.

Travel, entertainment and supply budgets have been reduced. Open positions have been eliminated and the freelance budget has been cut dramatically.

In addition, we will be reorganizing Photo, resulting in a significantly smaller staff. We will also eliminate the Sports Columnist category, which includes three staffers, and the research position in Albany. These decisions will mean further job reductions or will require staffers to move into other job categories.

Starting today, we will discuss details with the affected departments and individuals.

These circumstances are always difficult. Valued friends and colleagues who did not contemplate making a change will face giving up jobs they have been devoted to for years.

As always, we ask that the privacy of those who must weigh difficult choices be respected.

Thank you once again for your dedication and effort during these challenging times.

9. Mizzougrad96

Who is the third?

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wally Matthews?

11. jeff.pearlman

jeff.pearlman Member

I was by no means trying to rip young writers. We were all there at some point. I just loathe the idea—a popular one in corporate offices these days—that the reader doesn't care whether it's Powell, Howard or Joe Schlub writing that day's column. Maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong—but, as a journalist, it offends me.

12. Mizzougrad96

As well it should.

Draft saved Draft deleted