1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsday eliminates Powell, Howard

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mediator, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Mediator

Mediator Member

In another blow to the industry, sports columnists Johnette Howard and Shaun Powell had their positions eliminated this morning.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Man, those are big losses.

4. Horrible.

5. Mizzougrad96

I'm sure their salaries had nothing to do with it. - Buckweaver.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Were they given the option of:

a. salary givebacks?
    b. beat coverage?
    c. different roles in some other dept.?

Not that they'd agree to any of that, but it would be a way to keep talented people on board, allow them to stay employed at a basic level and sneakily shift some onus onto the employees, who at that point would be "declining" an opportunity to stay.

7. Mizzougrad96

I'd be stunned if they were offered anything other than their walking papers.

8. Mediator

Mediator Member

It is my understanding that they were given the option of staying on in another capacity, with a lesser job class. Not sure what the upshot is yet. They just found out this morning.

9. derwood

derwood Active Member

Is this related to them ripping MSG management in the past?

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Wow, what if that's it? What if, under the guise of a dying industry and a shit economy, they were dumped simply as Dolan revenge?

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

So much for the thinking that escaping Tribune was a good thing for Newsday

12. jeff.pearlman

jeff.pearlman Member

In 2002 I left SI to write features for Newsday because they promised "2,000-to-4,000-word features" and a "goal of winning Pulitzers." Those are the exact words uttered by my hiring editor.

I left two years later, when I was told they wanted more 500-word "trends pieces" on stuff like Jessica Simpson's latest hair style.

There is no newspaper in America (that I've seen, at least) that represents the industry's self-inflicted demise more than Newsday. The powers that be decided long ago that in order to compete with the internet and TV, the paper had to become, in a sense, the internet and TV. No depth. Short and snappy and quick. Grab the reader's attention, because you only have 45 seconds before he/she jumps in the shower. Etc ... etc.

This, to me, is the lowest low. Two great writers and Newsday staples, let go under the philosophy that, "Eh, the readers won't notice. We can give them Powell, Howard or a 23-year-old schlub making $28,000 ... and the sheep will still buy our product.

I'm ranting, because I'm incensed.

Draft saved Draft deleted