1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsday cuts internships?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Newsday made internship offers a couple of months ago and then decided, uh, no thanks? Someone, anyone?

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Feel bad for those kids.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Par for the course for a newspaper that just raised the Sunday paper to $1.59. Why nine cents? Why cheat your circ numbers? Why sell shitty looking ads and sticky ads on the front of the paper and turn 1/3 of the Sunday scoreboard into a funky ad? Because it's a monopoly baby.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Doing those kids a favor by uninviting them from a toxic environment: any major metro newsroom these days.

This is like sending a message out to the missionaries that they'd better steer clear of the leper colony, because shit has really gotten bad. Newsday's good deed of '08!

5. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Good Lord, where do you work?

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Pick a newsroom, any newsroom.

Last year, at a going-away gathering for a sports intern, the kid admitted he/she was rattled by how dreary and skittish the atmosphere was.

If you're 21 years old, harbor dreams of practicing this craft at a major metro as a fulfilling (and long) career and then were plopped into most newspaper offices these days, you easily could second-guess your choice of major and livelihood.

Jamby, baby, did my post really come across as more cynical than this industry overall? I didn't think so.

7. I'm in the middle of a degree in something other than journalism. At the end of my last internship, my full-time colleagues told me, more-than-half-jokingly, to pursue that instead of this.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Do we know this is indeed true? I'm 99.999999 percent certain it is but would like to hear from someone there.
    PM if you need to do so.

Joe, PM me, too, if you get a chance.

9. That's extremely interesting...I just got my rejection letter for Newsday's summer internship program, so I wouldn't know about the ones that were accepted. In the letter, though, it did mention several times about their internship program and how they did indeed hire people for the program.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

This won't be the first time Newsday has gone internless during the summer. It also happened in the mid-90s.

Draft saved Draft deleted