1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newscorp Web sites to start charging users

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, May 7, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Murdoch says it will happen within one year.

I hope it works.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/BUSINESS/05/07/murdoch.web.content/index.html

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

God.... why couldn't Tribune have been taken over by Murdoch. Aussie with balls ... or.... moron American Grave Dancer who merely fancies he has a pair.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

If Murdoch could, or would, buy TribCorp do you believe he could turn things around with it?

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Absolutely.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Second Simon. Rupert Murdoch knows how to work a business model and I could also see him maintaining Tribune's serious journalism model (or in this case, restoring it... thanks, Sammy!)

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

The story says: "Murdoch said the experience of the News Corp.-owned Wall Street Journal had proved that charging for content could be made to work."

I hope that is not his basis for wanting to charge, because that is one flawed theory. The WSJ is a whole different animal from a daily, local paper.

Also from that story, which sounds about right to me -

Joshua Benton, Director of the Nieman Journalism Lab at Harvard University: "I suspect within any readership there is a small slice -- maybe three percent -- that is willing to pay. News organizations are going to have to find a way of getting money from that slice without driving away everybody else."

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Plus the WSJ is free if you put search for the story on Google and click on the result.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Pay-per-story model.

9. So long, Roop. Barely knew you.

Faux News to shut down in a year if this happens.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

It is one thing to pay for online content in the Wall Street Journal when you need information instantly because a lot of money is riding on it.

It is quite another thing to pay for online content in the New York Post when it comes to articles.

11. As I ranted in the other thread:

-- Giving our product away is proving to be suicide.
    -- Web advertising is not lucrative enough to sustain us, and that doesn't appear to be changing.

So it's either this or we die, because there isn't national appeal to East-West football or Whatever County school board for Google news to save us.

Every single one of us needs to be pulling for this to work if we want to work in a sustainable industry.

12. You pay us or you get nothing. Your kid's name in a girls' tennis story is not a civic right. It's what god-damned puts food in my kids' mouths.

It is quite literally that attitude or death.

Draft saved Draft deleted