1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News that isn't news to us...Forbes: Local media pay is low

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Mar 2, 2013.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Well...duh! Most of the numbers are for TV, but they translate to all media really.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/forbes-surprised-local-tv-pay-is-low_b82393

Most jobs I have had have been in the $20-25K range. I started in TV in 2000 at $16,600 though.

2. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

This just in: shit smells bad.

3. SpockPuppet

SpockPuppet New Member

If I were human, I believe my response would be: "Go to hell". If I were human.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Bear shits in woods. Film at 11.

5. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

I worked as a tax preparer as a side job for many years. I used to do the taxes of the television "celebrities" in my town. I was surprised that the salaries were so low. Almost as bad as print if not worse. Another one that surprised me was lawyers. I thought lawyers made good coin, but a lot of them only pull in 30-50K a year. Not the ones in big firms but the ones from small firms and that work independently.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I happened across my tax returns from the last 8 years. I can't believe my wife didn't leave me in the first 4 years of our marriage! The most I made was a tad more than $16K working "part time" (ie. 35-40 hours, but no bennies and paid hourly) at a TV station.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Normally, the print people earn a little more than the TV. Reasoning is the work is harder and not as much glamour.

8. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I'm surprised my wife hasn't done the same recently. She's climbing the ladder and recently took a job making twice what I made as a reporter. She's still a class away from getting her associates degree.

Draft saved Draft deleted