1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News Supplements

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by young-gun11, Mar 7, 2012.

1. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Here is something I was going to say I wanted advice on, but in all reality, I just want to vent.

I am the only sports guy on staff here at my shop. I have only four schools and I only have 3-4 pages each week for my section. But, I have 20 games this week alone, as well as two golf matches. For the last month, you know, basketball playoffs month, I have been hounded to get stories written about people I don't know who volunteered during last year's tornado recovery efforts for a news supplement.

Our editorial staff is only three folks, but I don't understand the need for me to be scolded for not getting these things finished immediately. I had four of the eight teams in my area make the regional basketball tournament. One made the state finals. I am only allowed to work 37.5 hours.

How exactly could I get this accomplished?

Now that my rant is over, I must go finish my supplement pieces.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm smelling a Boone shop.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You don't mention what you're doing with those 20 games. I'm assuming you're taking roundups mostly, especially with a weekly?

For the regional tournaments, yeah, I can see that'd be an issue. If you're getting grief, give your boss the choice. Either you cover the tournament games and don't write the supplement features, or you write the supplements, skip the games, and you'll transfer all complaint calls to him. He's the manager. Let him make the decision.

And don't let him pressure you, or threaten you, into working unpaid overtime. Shit, if you work in a one-party state, bring a hidden tape recorder in to your meeting and see if he'll blatantly threaten you if you don't work unpaid OT.

4. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

If I only take roundups, I can't fill my pages. I have to cover at least one or two games just to get enough copy.

My ME has told me this week to make SURE if I work OT to turn it in. She specifically made it a point to say do not work if you aren't turning it in.

So, this week will be a sh*t ton of OT. Hope they're ready.

hack - I work for a "regionally-owned" group.

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Sounds like the rag I work for. I've had to pinch-hit for the news side at times and have been expected to. I always say this to the editor: "Okay, I can do that news story. But I am the sports guy. If you want me to take time away from the sports section for that, the sports section will suffer."

That usually helps my editor to determine the priorities of what he really wants.

Usually, I do the extra work, complain to myself under my breath, go out and drink for a few hours that night, get up, rinse, and repeat.

6. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Sounds like we have a similar approach.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, that's a little different. At least they're sounding like they're willing to pay you for the time worked. At least, until you turn in your sheet and they shit a brick. Be prepared to document all of your time.

I thought you were at one of those papers that wanted you to work for free.

8. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Normally, such is the case. I think, however, because of my shop being part of a small network, we are trying to get our hours pushed back up to 40. This will only help, apparently. At least, that is the feeling I get from the ME. Although, it could backfire and lead to more furloughs.

Draft saved Draft deleted