1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News/Sports Writer somewhere in the Southeast

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RonClements, May 19, 2014.

1. FusilliJerry

FusilliJerry Member

I'm fairly confident that this is The Clayton Tribune, a weekly in Northeast Georgia.

2. slc10

slc10 Member

Hmm I applied for the same spot sometime back if it is the Tribune. Didn't hear a word. ::)
    I may go ahead and be the lamb and see what transpires. It could be in another state besides Georgia. Need to think about this one. I just am not fond of applying without a few details like a publication anme and where it is. ???

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Here's a little bit of the last email the editor sent me after a couple back and forth emails asking about the position. (I have no interest in the position and never did. I was mining for information to post here).

It pretty much confirms their intentions, I suppose.

"A blind search is not done unless the person who is to be replaced is considered a real problem and the manager feels seeking a new staff member confidentially is the best method to keep staff harmony and minimize disruption."

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Fuck the southeast.

5. FusilliJerry

FusilliJerry Member

I am a little surprised the editor volunteered that information.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Sounds like the southeast is going to turn into the Wild West when that dismissal comes down.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Me too. But I started the email chain with an innocent question about location. He/she responded about it being a blind ad. I responded respectfully that it speaks volumes about the company and how could expect to get quality people without knowing and that it reeked of the company trying to blindside its current employee.

That was their response.

8. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

Now I'm curious. Just sent my application but said I would like to learn more about their publication.

9. Morris816

Morris816 Member

What doesn't make sense is that, while you are doing this search, the person who might be considered a problem is still on staff and may be causing disruption.

Maybe it's just me, but it would make more sense to fire the disruptive staff member and start your search for a new staff member.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ask the editor if he/she responded to a blind ad to get their position.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

A POST OF THE YEAR CANDIDATE!!!!! Nicely done playthrough.

12. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

This is what I sent in my "application" to them.
    "This is the part where I would comment why I would like to work for your publication and show that I have looked at your company as one I would value working for.

Unfortunately, I have no name of publication or even a city. What's the circulation? What type of sports are there to cover?

But curiosity has got the best of me. I am looking for a good paper, but I would need to know more about your company if there would be an interview. I'm willing to relocate from Washington if the position seems right. But I won't know unless I apply. Just like you won't know if I will fit in perfectly unless we have that interview."

This was there response:

"Thank you for your inquiry. The position is now closed, but here are a few tips to help you along the way.

When an employer runs a blind ad it is for specific reasons. If they like the applicant, all that information is revealed. If he or she is criticized or questioned about it by a potential applicant, it immediately puts that applicant in the discard pile.

What do you lose by attaching a resume and a few clips in response to a blind ad? Nothing.

What do you lose by your approach? Any chance at the position.

Also, if you are going to attach a photo to your email address, I would suggest one that makes you look businesslike. Almost all employers would rather see that.

Good luck."

Last I checked, I didn't have a picture attached to my email, unless they are talking about my avatar. Also, when did I criticize their publication?

Draft saved Draft deleted