1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News/Sports Writer somewhere in the Southeast

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RonClements, May 19, 2014.

1. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Anyone want to guess or know where this is?

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1589546

Position: News/Sports Writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable

Description:

News/Sports Writer

Join talented staff of Southeastern U.S. community newspaper reporting local news, sports and participating in page design. This is a lively news and sports town in a beautiful rural setting, but not too far from bigger cities. We are a solid and much-honored weekly paper that is part of a strong company. For the right person, there is room for advancement.

Opening is immediate. If you're ready to work, send resume, clips and cover letter to nspeditor2014@gmail.com.

2. FusilliJerry

FusilliJerry Member

This is incredibly nondescript, even for an anonymous ad.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

All that, and a mere 15 minutes away from Lake Tahoe.

4. slc10

slc10 Member

Somebody could google "awesome weekly newspaer in southeast owned by strong company". Of course I did that and got all sorts of resorts including the New York Deli News.
    Maybe I will email and inquire.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I know jobs are tough to come by, and I know I'm generally against critiquing ads here.

But that ad's just not fair.

6. slc10

slc10 Member

I sent an email and all they told me was to send a resume and clip[s. As for a location I still have no clue.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The guy's email handle is "nsp editor." I Googled "NSP newspaper" and came back with "National Ski Patrol."

Hope this helps ...

Seriously, if someone is that non-descript with their job ad, stay away. They're probably trying to hire someone before they fire the current person, in which case I wouldn't want to work there.

8. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

We need someone to do something somewhere at some point.
    Are you in or not?

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That can't go without note. Well-played.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I didn't think of that, you may be right.

This says "beautiful rural setting," which may be spin for East Bumfuck and they don't want to scare anyone away with the truth. But instead they might be missing someone who knows or has ties to East Bumfuck and could be a terrific fit. I don't get it.

11. slc10

slc10 Member

NSP could mean news/sports editor. I saw two or three uses for the moniker and still nothing. I live in Georgia and there are several weeklies in the state and ALabama, Florida, the Carolinas, Tenn. and KY as well as VA are NO exception.
    If there is going to be some dirty pool like firing someone then get it done.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I tried to get cute and wound up with Iowa's North Scott Press. Obviously not the right geography.

Draft saved Draft deleted