1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News/sports reporter in Williston, N.D.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stitch, Dec 8, 2011.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Like Williston, she has not aged well.

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

No, the Mitzi you get is one that berates employees to make herself feel better, one that never went to college, one that has run every employee (even press room) out in the 4-5 years shes been at the paper, many of whom were at the paper for 20+ years.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Man, I've worked and lived in some shitholes over the years, but this place gives even me pause. And, no, the weather doesn't faze me. It's all the other crap discussed here. I mean there are stinking entry and mid-level papers in every state in the union, so why does someone go to Williston? Even if the money is good, sounds like the cost of living will negate that pretty quick.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I absolutely adored my two years there. It was the best job I ever had, and I'd still have it if I hadn't had a kid that I didn't want to keep away from his extended family.

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Because it is in the modern equivalent of a gold rush town. Nothing can fail here ... literally.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Look like somebody else just left town: the Williston paper's looking for a managing editor now.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1352134

Maybe the ad should say "newsroom turnover unlike any other paper in the country." And that's saying something.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

M.E. moved up there, liked it, had a kid, didn't want to keep the kid away from extended family back home.

I heard that happens a lot.

8. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Yep. This time the person isn't leaving disgruntled. Whoever gets this position will need to hire people right away. I believe they have a reporter position open still because people keep coming and going.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Thanks to Rick and Cubbiebum for the insight.

I still think the oil boom in western North Dakota would be fascinating to cover. Quite a few people from our area, a long day's drive to the west, have gone over to work for a few months.

Williston sounds like a modern-day gold rush town, with all the good and bad issues that brings.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

ME opening reposted, but don't know what the housing considerations are? I'd consider a house there if I could afford it.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

And the going rate for a house there is?.......

Na, you can't afford it. (And neither can most of the rest of us).

12. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

The managing editor had a house that the parent company bought for him to live in with his family. I would imagine the new ME would get the same deal.

Anyways, they are running on empty in the newsroom. They've been calling a couple of us that quit recently offering a hefty pay raise to come back.

It's hilarious to me because I quit over them not raising our pay (went in with another newsroom worker). I was making $11.50. The paper is making huge amounts of money and they are paying press guys $20 an hour and delivery drivers make $15. I told them I would stay for $13.50 and they instead tried to introduce a bunch of monthly award bonuses that amounted to a 15 cent raise basically.

They offered $17 an hour to come back. I said no because 1. Mitzi is still a raving lunatic of a boss 2. I make more than double that at my new job and it has very little stress.

Draft saved Draft deleted