1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News / Sports Journalists - The Daily Citizen (Searcy, Ark.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Matt Stephens, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Via JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1237008

Company: The Daily Citizen
    Position: News/sports journalist
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires: May 23, 2011
    Job ID: 1237008

Description:

Versatility is an highly valuable skill in the new landscape of community journalism, and The Daily Citizen has an excellent opportunity for a well-rounded journalist who can do it all. The schedule is Monday through Friday — three days of sports, two days of news — and requires reporting, photography and design. Knowledge of Photoshop and inDesign is required, as is a positive attitude, having pride in one's craft, as well as a passion for community journalism and an obsession with putting out a great news and sports product. The successful candidate must be a self-starter, who takes direction well. This is the perfect opportunity for a Jack — or Jill — of all trades, who wants to become a master of those trades as well. The Daily Citizen is an award-winning 5,600-circulation daily newspaper situated in a friendly, growing city of over 22,000 residents who take their news and sports seriously. The Citizen has made several improvements over the past year, and has received a great deal of state-wide accolades, and even some national notice. Searcy is situated on the edge of the beautiful Ozarks, one hour north of Little Rock and two hours west of Memphis. We offer competitive benefits, as well as a great deal of room for growth and advancement. If you have what it takes, send your resume to Editor Jacob Brower at jbrower@thedailycitizen.com, or jwbrower@yahoo.com.

2. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

I interviewed here a few year ago. Small paper but a hard working staff. Harding University is located in Searcy and I know the staff used to do a lot of coverage with the sports teams. The men's basketball team has been decent in recent sears. I think they play in the Gulf South Conference, but I could be wrong about that.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They're leaving the GSC for the brand-new Great American Conference this fall — a mash-up of Arkansas and Oklahoma teams.

As far as Searcy goes, the closest you'll come to a hopping social scene is at Wendy's. I think "Footloose" was set there.

4. Matt Stephens

RIP, Lone Star Conference.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The LSC is alive and well. They only lost the 6 Oklahoma members and gained a new one this year (Incarnate Word) for 11 members total. Sixteen was too big and almost unworkable anyway.

I'd be more worried about the GSC. That conference had practically become the Gulf Arkansas Conference. When those schools left, that left only 5 football-playing members and 8 overall.

6. Matt Stephens

I know, but I had a lot of close friends who played for Northeastern State, UCO, SOSU and SWOSU

7. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

Draft saved Draft deleted