1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News/Sports Copy Editor -- York, Pa.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Pendleton, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

The York Daily Record/Sunday News is seeking a full-time copy editor/page designer. We are a seven-day morning newspaper and 24/7 web operation in southcentral Pennsylvania. This is a MediaNews Group-owned newspaper with circulations of 47,000 daily and 90,000 Sunday.

The person we hire would work shifts on both the news and sports copy desks. Depending on the time of year, this person would work either two or three nights per week in the sports department. This position is five nights per week.

We are looking for a copy editor with excellent news judgment, eye-catching design skills and an ability to consistently meet deadlines for the three MediaNews newspapers we produce nightly from our newsroom. (We handle pagination for the Hanover and Lebanon newspapers, in addition to our own.) Our copy editors are also fully involved with the posting and editing of stories and multimedia content on our web sites. We need someone who is enthused about the direction of online news and sports journalism and can bring fresh ideas and energy to that area while still helping us publish superior print editions each night.

Send resume, references and, if available, your best design clips to Chris Otto, Sports Editor, York Daily Record/Sunday News, 1891 Loucks Road, York, Pa. 17408. Or, better yet, e-mail those materials to cotto@ydr.com. EOE.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

This place, albeit a decent stop, is always advertising for talent.

3. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I was thinking the same thing. Seems like there's always one from this place up here. I used to live about an hour from here. Went to York a few times, didn't seem like a bad place to be. Don't know much about the paper though.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The prep sports site is a little silly. It seems like it was designed on the cheap. And the videos are just a couple of reporters sitting behind a desk using stick mics.

I don't know how involved a copy editor will be in terms of video production, but the product needs help.

5. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

We are still accepting resumes for the news/sports copy editor opening.

We also have another newsroom opening, for a copy editor who would work approximately 2-10 p.m. most days and handle the business page and some web work, among other duties. Design skills a plus for that opening. Contact me at cotto@ydr.com for further details.

Draft saved Draft deleted