1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News/sports copy editor/designer -- The (Tacoma, Wash.) News Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Mar 18, 2014.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The News Tribune in Tacoma, Wash. is seeking a versatile, experienced sports/news page designer to join our newsroom. This is one of two openings we are currently looking to fill.
    The ideal candidate must have a good sense of modern news layout and headline hierarchy as well as solid news judgment. The job requires someone who can multitask and work smart, as we produce multiple pages on tight deadlines daily with two publications simultaneously (The News Tribune and our sister paper, The Olympian).

The ideal designer/copy editor would be able to take the reins from the day sports designer two days a week, finish the A1 news sections two days a week and work the rim and/or features design one day a week. It is a tall order but the best journeyperson would shine in this role. Responsibilities would include writing accurate headlines, refers and breakout type, as well as copy editing for news, features, business and sports. All shifts are evenings (3-11 p.m.) and would include weekends.

The ideal candidate has at least three years of experience working for a small daily or large weekly newspaper in layout design with some copy editing experience desired. Communication skills need also to be top notch as you will need to be in constant contact with editors not on site using telephone, email or instant messaging.

This person would join a universal desk that handles the editing and design duties for print. We currently work in InDesign with a Hermes platform. Production changes are coming this summer as we integrate the print/online/mobile platforms with a new pagination system rollout of CCI NewsGate.

This is a full time (37.5 hours per week) position. Full medical/dental/401k. Please provide 3-5 examples of your best work along with references, resume and cover letter.

Send your packet via e-mail by April 7 (subject line: sports/news page designer) to Liz Wishaw, team leader/editing and presentation at liz.wishaw@thenewstribune.com.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1520379

2. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

I work at one of their weekly papers and I'm hoping to get one of the two spots. I haven't had any problems working within McClatchy. Nice people. Decent benefits compared to the smaller papers I have worked at.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Used to be quite a good paper that could compete --- at least in terms of content --- with the Seattle paper(s). All the guys and gals I knew there are gone now, so I can't say much either way.

Draft saved Draft deleted