1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News/sports copy editor, Casper (Wyo.) Star-Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by azom, Nov 9, 2011.

1. azom

azom Member

Job description: We seek a kick-butt designer and editor to produce powerful news, sports and features pages. We're looking for someone who can make the whole greater than the sum of the parts. You should: - Be able to design with flair and serious journalistic purpose - Be flexible enough to do A1, sports, features and formatted inside pages - Work well with others and have a deep love and respect for words and images - Be a strong advocate for great journalism and great design - Take a risk now and again. Why Casper, Wyo.? Three main reasons: - We encourage terrific work. Check out http://newspagedesigner.org/photo/photo/listForContributor?screenName=3w27lvu4a33xl and http://newspagedesigner.org/photo/album/show?id=1993196%3AAlbum%3A102222 - You get to work alongside immensely talented people who're working way, way above the level you'd expect at a 22k daily. - The great outdoors: Wyoming has them as no other state in the lower 48. There are very few wild places left in America. And they are here. What would give you an edge? - Sports design background - Headline and alt-story-form skills Tools: We use InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator on PCs. Questions? Send letter and resume to Jim McBee News editor jim.mcbee@trib.com

Unless otherwise instructed in the job description above, resumes and work samples should be sent to the contact name and address below:

Jim McBee
    News editor
    Casper Star-Tribune
    170 Star Lane
    Casper, WY 82604
    USA

http://office.snd.org/jobs/jobs.lasso?ID=9046

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I know the person who had this job pretty well. I also worked here for awhile. Solid gig for a designer looking to break in or move up.

2. ARR

ARR New Member

I work here (and on the desk, to boot). PM me with questions or just post them here.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Decent paper. Decent town. But a zillion mile from anywhere else. No such thing as a "quick trip".

4. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

What's the pay? Last time I applied for a similar job at a similarly sized Lee paper, they were paying $20k-$22k or something ridiculous.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If it matters, no state income tax in Wyoming.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Made considerably more than that at a Lee paper that was smaller. Look, ain't no one getting rich in newspapers, but this looks like a key position and I'm guessing they'll go 30k or higher for the right person. Doesn't strike me as an entry-level gig.

7. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

SE is a good guy and they have fantastic design ... perfect spot for someone who enjoys the great outdoors

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Casper recently lost its Pioneer League team. That's all I got.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes, the Ghosts are no more.

10. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

That's actually kind of depressing.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Where did the Ghosts move to?

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Grand Junction, Colo.