1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News Sites Rethink Anonymous Online Comments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

The Deseret News in Salt Lake City is now taking steps to get away from the completely anonymous comments.

They now require registration, but still will allow posts with screen names

Here's the policy:

The new "Random Thoughts" stuff posts truly anonymous messages, but they are not included within the string of comments attached to stories. Instead, they have a link/tag to specific stories, but are collected in a separate place with random thoughts associated with other stories.

Kind of interesting. I'd much prefer real names attached to everything a newspaper publishes -- in print or online -- from its readers.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That methodology is kind of interesting.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Interesting and strange. Although the random thoughts section might provide a good read, especially if you were from out of town and had no shot at understanding what the hell most of the thoughts were about.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

We're not scared of the free exchange of thoughts and ideas. We're worried about people who use the cloak of anonymity to mask their real selves behind a persona they wouldn't dare show themselves in the mirror at night.

I've been against anonymous comments from the very beginning. Anything we do to eliminate them entirely is a step in the right direction after too many in the wrong direction.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Comments on a newspaper's website should be treated like letters to the editor.

They should have a name attached & should be verified.

Couldn't you accomplish all of this by just having people register with a credit card? Charge 'em a buck or something nominal to register and make them use a credit card to do it.

Wouldn't that solve the problem?

I guess the counter argument might be that it would be a pain in the ass & would result in fewer registrants & comments, but if someone really wanted to participate, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Most likely it would just deter the nuts, which is the point, right?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I will defend to the death the rights of anonymous posters to say anything that I agree with.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sounds like everyone's against anonymous racist comments but in favor of racist comments where you know the name of the person posting?

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'd love to see readers have to post their comments in 42 characters or less. That is going to be priceless.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Especially in a good town for an ass kicking.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Why? What do we have to gain?

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

My favorite solution.

Draft saved Draft deleted