1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News & Record cuts 25 jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wsreader, Apr 16, 2009.

1. wsreader

wsreader New Member

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/04/16/article/news_record_cuts_25_jobs

GREENSBORO — The News & Record is cutting 25 jobs in its latest step to reduce costs resulting from the recession and its impact on advertising revenue.

The job cuts were across departments, including six in the newsroom. Employees will receive severance packages determined by their length of service

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

It never ends. With any luck, they won't let someone come on board for three days this time only to find out they've been cut.

My best to all in Greensboro ...

3. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Member

Anyone in sports among the cuts?

4. Sammi

Sammi Member

Better question: is there anyone left in sports? To the best of my knowledge, only Ed Hardin (columnist), Robert Bell (golf) and Tom Keller (preps) were left after the last hosing.

5. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

interesting comment left below the story (can we have an amen after the first paragraph):

The newspaper's employees -- especially the folks that actually create original content every day -- are its only real assets besides its brand (which is losing value every day the more watered down the product becomes). Let them go and you have -no- chance of pulling this business out of its dive.

I understand the need to align expenses with revenue, but at some point you've actually got to come up with a plan to start _competing_ and _growing_ revenue rather than just "controlling the descent". It's trite but true: newspapers have too many managers and too few leaders. We need folks with the guts to say, "This is my vision, and I'm going to stick with it and make the necessary investments, no matter how painful they may be, to give it a real chance to succeed. Because I've thought about it at length -- really thought it out to the nth degree -- and truly believe it can be successful."

Most newspapers are run by packs of squirrels. Big, doe-eyed, spastic squirrels with short attention spans and little stomach for risk. They keep going after the same shrivelled, diseased acorns time and again. It's long past time to find a new oak.

6. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Member

You can't tell by looking at the online employee directory -- yeah, there is one, but you have to look for it ... it still lists Rob Daniels and Bill Haas as working there ...

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Active Member

I understand that one guy on the sports desk was laid off.

Draft saved Draft deleted