1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News. People Think It's Their Right To Get It For Free

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Aug 13, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Web advertising will not grow because nobody clicks on banner ads.

When was the last time you clicked on an advertisement on this site? I never have. And I'm on this damn thing every day.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

That's the big problem with web advertising: people don't trust it, even if it's a legitimate enterprise. Too many adware/spyware/malware/viruses spread through disreputable links that it makes people wary -- the pop-up blockers didn't gain popularity because people didn't want to see Best Buy or Amazon ads, they were there to keep the "1,001 LOLS A DAY" and "TAKE OUR SURVEY AND WIN A PLAYSTATION 2" ads.

That's probably a part of what made door-to-door selling go the way of the do-do.

3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

SHWEWWW. When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be another thead on Healthcare.

4. Babs

Babs Member

Pretty sure door-to-door selling went away because women entered the workforce and were no longer home during the day to answer the door.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's not about banner ads anymore. How many newspapers charge per click? It's all about impressions.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Too true, which is why a key metric for advertisers and publishers is whether readers even remember SEEING a particular ad in the past 30 days.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Advertisements on this site? No idea what you're talking about. :D

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

That might be part of it, but I'd be willing to wager at least as big a part was that door-to-door salespeople got a bad rap between overaggressive missionaries, overaggressive security system salespeople and general-purpose shysters. The bad drives out the good, and now if someone random comes up to your door, your first inclination probably isn't to buy what they're selling (do Girl Scouts even go door-to-door anymore?)

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yes. :)

Ah, thin mints ... nom-nom-nom-nom-nom-nom

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I've never understood why newspapers didn't figure out what their newsstand price was, PDF their entire issue of said paper and charge that newsstand price for access to the PDF of that paper.

You could bill the internet as a free extra to those folks who pay to advertise in your paper and you'd likely sell more copies.

11. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

It's not the consumer's right to get it for free, but it's not our right to get paid for it, either. We're making nothing off the product because the free market won't pay us anything for it. Saying that we deserve to get paid for our hard work isn't going to make the money start flowing. Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Not too many people give a crap about the PDF edition of the paper. It should be free then, or tenth of the price, since you're not paying pressman, for paper, or distribution.

Draft saved Draft deleted