1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News on the Santa Barbara News-Press?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by journalist4life, Jul 15, 2006.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If upper management is unwilling, anybody else is just wasting their time and stressing themselves out.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Any update on the situation here?

3. 805atHeart

805atHeart Member

In spite of my earlier rant about the News-Press, it sounds like the dust has settled around there. Well, at least to a certain extent, you never know with McCaw around. A lot of the local subscribers are still peeved about some of the popular columnists leaving and are rallying with some of the current employees to change the way things work at the NP.

An email I got as part of the list serve for my old major at UCSB led me to this site, if any are interested: www.savethenewspress.com

All told, one of my good buddies I just graduated with filled one of the openings in the sports department (It was open before the before the blowup) and they're actually paying him better than I would have guessed.

4. marmar

marmar New Member

The dust is not quite settled. Two other reporters quit Friday (or Thursday) including their city reporter, who is well regarded by all around the city.

The opinion editor who was bumped up to publisher for awhile wrote this gem a few days ago for the paper. Nothing like excuses.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20060804005535&newsLang=en

5. Claws for Concern

Just checking back after my last comment. Thanks for the update.

6. blandcanyon

blandcanyon Guest

All together now: "it could be worse here, it could be worse here."

7. Claws for Concern

Here's the latest from Santa Barbara ... 22 have left now.

www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003123075

Draft saved Draft deleted