1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News on Rod Beaton (includes update from Maria Beaton)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Sep 11, 2009.

1. ballwriter

ballwriter New Member

When I was starting out in the ballwriting business more than 20 years ago, Rod was one of the first big-name writers I got to know and he treated me like I was a big-timer instead of just some kid from a small paper. We became friends over the years and I always enjoyed seeing him at various points in the season. He is a great guy and this is terrible news. Rod, Maria and the kids are in my prayers.

2. AD

AD Active Member

rod is a first-rate man. i don't say that lightly. i was a dumb-ass from a small paper who couldn't do a thing for him, and he always treated me like gold. seriously: gold. the guy is one of the all-time best guys. and i haven't seen or talked to him for a good decade. my prayers are you, friend.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I think that's why this has affected so many people because he IS one of the good guys in this screwed up profession.

4. longtimecomin

longtimecomin Member

Never knew him except for his byline and hearing him on radio interview now and then. I hope people are saying the same things about me when I'm battling for my life. Hope it provides some comfort for his family.

5. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Used to read and enjoy his hockey stuff in particular. Never knew him personally, but sounds like a remarkable man, with a remarkable and courageous wife and family. My prayers to you all...

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

Same goes for me. A great compliment for any writer is for any who read his or her work on a consistent basis feel like they actually know the author.

Rod is that way to me. God bless to you, sir, and Maria, your strength is amazing. You will both be in my prayers.

7. the fop

the fop Member

Agreed. He'd take time out from his work to help you out on a story even though 10 times as many people were going to read his.

One thing I remember that's sort of off the beaten path: I was on one of those USA Today loanership programs working the sports desk, and back then they'd have the writers each work one week on the rewrite desk. It was January, a few weeks before spring training started, and I remember Rod pouring himself into that cover briefs package and the one inside like it was an exclusive interview with Joe DiMaggio. That always stuck with me. It would have been really easy for him to mail that week on the desk in, and he didn't.

Thoughts and prayers, Rod and Maria.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

As sad as the subject matter is, it's heartwarming to know that this man has meant so very much to so many people, either through his words or his actions.

I'm glad this thread has been stickied and I hope many more people will drop in to read and to share their thoughts.

God bless Rod, Maria and their loved ones.

9. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

Spent some time in press boxes and press rooms with Rod on the hockey beat in the early '80s. He always had a good off-the-record story or two to tell. And I just loved the nicknames he'd call himself each time. My two favorites were "Seldom" and "Never"

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Best wishes to the Beaton family.

11. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Good God, that is absolutely tragic.

Draft saved Draft deleted