1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News of the Mets' existence hasn't reached SI letter writer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Wow. From the issue with Mark Ingram on the cover:

"Here's how you solve the Yankees problem: Put another franchise in New York.
    The value of the Yankees' advertising, TV and radio deals will immediately decline and the worth of the franchise will drop. There will be no more $200 million-plus payrolls, because the team won't have that obscene amount of money available."

Well, Mr. Dude from Chubbuck, Idaho, MLB needs to get right on that whole "Second New York franchise" thing, posthaste.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

perhaps he meant another American League team

3. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

He meant a third team in the NYC market, which has often been proposed as the best option for MLB relocation or expansion. In terms of financial strength, a team in Northern New Jersey would be a much more viable option than one in Portland, San Antonio, Charlotte or Sacramento. A New Jersey team would be much more likely to be a donor in revenue sharing, not a receiver. The situation would be reversed for teams in any of those other markets.

That said, I think the Mets would be hurt far more than the Yankees. The Yankees have the winning brand, but a company might well shift some of its advertising/luxury box budget from the Mets to the Jerseys.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

There is nowhere to put a baseball stadium in New Jersey.
    Plus, a new New Jersey franchise would have to pay huge territorial indemnity to the Mets and Yankees.
    A New Jersey team is in no way a viable options. It is among the dumbest ideas ever proposed.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what the mileage radius is for a team to be allowed to locate?

Bridgeport / New Haven area has been discussed in some circles.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm pretty sure it's at least 50 miles, might be more

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

As for what the letter writer's point was, if a significant amount of money could be siphoned from the Yankees' coffers, the Mets would have done so. But the fact is, there is an obscene amount of money available, enough for two healthy New York teams. And probably a third.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think it is - home plate at RFK is like 35 miles from Oriole Park, so that was some kind of issue when the Nats moved from Montreal. Details escape me.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

I think because Washington wasn't a "new location. In fact, it had MLB before Baltimore so the Orioles didn't have a strong case but MLB did do something with the TV/radio rights thing, I think, to appease Angelos.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Bridgeport 44 miles form Yankee Stadium

New Haven 61 miles

Would not surprise me to see Tampa make a push to move to CT at some point.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not sure MLB wants to go to Connectcut...franchise could get lost between Yankees and Red Sox fans.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Snarkfail.

He didn't say "second team," did he?

In the 50s, there were three teams.

I do not think Bridgeport-New Haven, especially in this economy, could support a team.

Draft saved Draft deleted