1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News Journal in Delaware seeks Phillies beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SavebyKeans, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Fenix031

Fenix031 New Member

I sent some stuff along about a week-and-a-half ago, but haven't heard anything back. I saw during a Phillies chat Scott told his readers he has 10 days left, and that was the middle of last week. I just assumed they would have somebody in place before then.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder how much this paper travels with the team? I would guess it's one of those gigs where they travel for the road games that are close by, but not much else... Just a guess...

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm pretty sure at one time it was full travel, though I'd like to hear from someone who actually knows.

4. sayyestomi

sayyestomi New Member

I sent stuff along when this was first posted, too, and didn't receive anything back. Not even a note saying they received it. I haven't seen this on any other job boards/forums, so there can't be that much of a response, can there?

I'd like to hear someone's take on the travel involved, too, who knows a bit more. It's hard to be a team's beat writer when you aren't even allowed to attend each game. Coverage lacks when you rely on wire copy for games that are "too far" to send your writer to.

5. WerenCole

WerenCole New Member

As an NHL beat writer who does not travel with the team, I would wholeheartedly agree that not traveling is a huge pain the in the ass in terms of coverage.

6. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

I don't know if that means all over or what, actually.

7. SavebyKeans

SavebyKeans New Member

To answer the travel question, we have, in recent seasons, skipped West Coast trips unless they occur around the trade deadline or involve games critical to the standings. Otherwise, we cover the rest of the road games, not just those in the region. There is no indication that will change this season.

8. sayyestomi

sayyestomi New Member

Thanks, SavebyKeans. That's still a decent amount of traveling and would allow for a good variety of coverage. Many papers are skipping West Coast trips these days, with the exception of those larger papers that can still swing it.

Impressed to see that it isn't just Baltimore/Pittsburgh/Washington/NY that would be considered "road coverage." Although being in Philadelphia allowed for many road trips to be close by because of this -- five teams within driving distance helps for sure. The KC/Seattle/Milwaukee types don't really have this luxury.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

maybe he was guilty about not paying enough taxes in Delaware.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I perhaps have not made myself clear. My parents taught me to read from this newspaper (well, from the Journal-Every Evening, the PM paper eventually folded into the News Journal). I want this paper to succeed in the worst way, because who wants their childhood to die? I hope the most talented people on this board (and that's setting a high bar) apply for this job. I am also a Phillies fan, and could use another good bookmark for my daily beat fix.

11. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

C'mon, this thread has had more than 3,000 views but only 21 responses? Everyone is interested but afraid to react? OK, I'll react. Word known is that Scott Lauber left yesterday for Boston and the job is left to one of "The News Journal's" best columnists , Martin Frank. He was/is doing the Sixers. So, is it going to be an internal move? Will everyone shift and leave Buddy Hurlock's prep job open? Please note that the only place I've seen this job opening is on this board. SavebyKeans, any response?

12. rockville

rockville New Member

When I worked this job for the News Journal 10-12 years ago, 7 or 8 papers regularly sent beat writers on the road with the Phillies. As far as I know, many trips are now the two Philliy papers and the News Journal. This is the kind of job that used to be so great in this business, a suburban paper that traveled and covered the big-city teams and was filled with great people in sports, put out a good section, provided opportunity, was a destination point and terrific long-time home for some and a place that could help you move on for others. I'm not sure how many sports sections like this are still around. Sure, the News Journal has had cutbacks, like every paper, but it remains a place where a lot of people would want to be. Scott Lauber did a great job there, and I'm sure this hire will be a good one. If only there were 100 more jobs out there like this one, as there used to be.

Doug Lesmerises

Draft saved Draft deleted