1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News from TIFF.....(Toronto International Film Festival)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Sep 13, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Practically every movie star and film actor is here for the festival which, by all early accounts, is one of the best in years.

George Clooney's in town for the film festival, premiering two of his movies this fall, "The Men Who Stare at Goats" which sounds like a Coen Brothers movie but isn't and "Up in the Air", both November releases.

Drew Barrymore's here to promote her new flick about women's rollerderby starring Juno's Ellen Page. "Whip It" premieres today.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/tiff/article/694969

And Oprah who's executive producer of a disturbing new movie "Push" may end up doing for movies what she did for publishing. Oprah's Movie Club?

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/tiff/article/695053

And here's some photos:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/tiff-2009/seeing-stars-at-tiff/article1284000/

[​IMG]

George caught his hand in a car door.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Your whole post was validated by that photo. :D

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I had you in mind from the get go. :)

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Jr:

I've been to Sundance and it's pretty neat because it really takes over the whole town.

Movies are being shown all day, all over town, and it's all anyone is talking about.

What's it like in a city as big as Toronto? Can you describe it a little? Can it have as big an impact and do the locals love it, or do many se it as a pain in the ass?

Toronto's on my list of cities I want to visit, and this sounds like a fun reason to visit some year.

(One of my first trips when I worked for the airline was a planned trip to Toronto.

Having lived in New York and having family in both Buffalo & Detroit, I'd crossed the boarder many times and of coarse didn't need a passport.

I learned shortly after arriving at the airport that it's different when you're flying -- and it's entirely different now - and went to California instead.

Still haven't gotten there.)

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

When's the Jacksonville Professional Entertainment Gala (JPEG)?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Toronto's a big city so it doesn't take over the town since the festival is fairly localized to the downtown and theatre district.

Most industry people consider it to be as important as Cannes in terms of generating Oscar buzz. Movies like Slumdog and Eastern Promises got their start at TIFF. It's also a working festival. Filmmakers come here for distribution deals.

I think there's about 370 films this year and that includes a fair number of true indie films plus a lot of foreign stuff.

It's also a festival for moviegoers which I believe makes ti more fun for all the industry types who are sick of just talking to themselves.

I know a few people who book a week's worth of holidays and go see moves 24/7

And you need a passport to get back into the US. We'll let you in with photo ID and a birth certificate.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Fixed. ;D

I absolutely love the names of the derbyites:

Decked out in ripped fishnets and edgy, skin-baring, campy outfits, they adopt names like Babe Ruthless (Page), Bloody Holly (Zoe Bell), Rosa Sparks (Eve), Maggie Mayhem (Kristen Wiig) and Iron Maven (Juliette Lewis). Barrymore cast herself as Smashley Simpson, a freewheeling stoner who brings the party, on and off the track.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You know there's a women's roller derby league here in Toronto?

http://www.torontorollerderby.com/about

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's awesome, I did not know about that!!!

Oh my God, what a website. Check out this fantastic descriptor of the Chicks Ahoy team, for example.....

Avast! There is no following a trail of crumbs to escape the wrath of Chicks Ahoy! These bitches don't crumble.

Nor was I aware of the other Ontario teams, the Hammer City Rollergirls from Hamilton, the Forest City Derby Girls of London and the GTA Rollergirls......would love to check that out sometime soon!

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Jim Balsillie is trying to bring the Arizona franchise to southern Ontario too. :D

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Couldn't let this one slip by without proper kudos. Well, played, sir.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Our boys weeknd used to coincide with the TIFF and we ended up at a couple industry type parties thanks to a connection who lived in the city.

I was mistaken for a "player" in the industry and we enjoyed free drinks at a club for about 90 minutes before continuing our crawl. To this day I have no idea who the cougar thought I was but we reaped the benfits none the less.

TIFF is when I also peed in the urinal beside Sean Connery (taller than I thought he would be). He was pissed to the gills.

Draft saved Draft deleted