1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News from Riverside, Calif.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

With a reduced emphasis on micro-zoning, the paper has had less need for local-pages designers. Tough times, though, for a paper that was doing quite well a decade or so ago.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Don't know any people on that list (and I know more than a handful of people there), but still doesn't take away the sting.

3. oldfart

oldfart Member

I'm stunned to see Mark Benoit's name on the latest layoff list, but I don't know why I should be. After all, he's only been there 40 YEARS and you can't expect the company to keep him around forever, even if he stil is productive. Anyone need further proof that concepts like loyalty and respect and human decency have no place in what quickly is becoming the world's tawdriest business?

4. MileHigh

This might not play well.

There were layoffs and yet ... PaulO is reporting (from Hong Kong, no less) the P-E just hired San Bernardino's prep writer, John Murphy.

http://www.oberjuerge.com/?p=481

5. MileHigh

Great move for John. Seriously, how much longer does the Sun even stick around? Circulation is sub-50,000 in a 3 million-plus market. Embarrassing. Disgraceful.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

It is a great move for John and yet another reason why the Sun sports section is an oxymoron.

Under 50k, Mile? Disgraceful and embarrassing barely scratches the surface.

7. MileHigh

I mistyped. Should have put under 60K. Which is still embarrassing and disgraceful.

And last update was 57K on Sunday and 54K M-F (52K on Saturday).

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Has Patricia Mays surfaced anywhere yet? My money still is on ESPN.

9. MileHigh

Not yet. But I've heard she has a lead or two.

Draft saved Draft deleted