1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News from Riverside, Calif.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Sep 5, 2008.

1. devils_claw

devils_claw Member

I do, too. Hope everyone came through okay...or as okay as it gets.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Her leaving made it clear to you that papers don't care about quality?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes. She had a wheelbarrow full of APSEs and was very well respected in the business.
    Didn't matter. They needed heads out of there and off hers went.

So what I'm saying is, that was the exclamation point. I felt that way for a while beforehand. That drove it home.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yes, and parked it right in the garage. Thanks for sharing.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Arballo is a former prep writer as well, whose fantasy baseball team's crappiness was matched only by his niceness as a human being.

Wow... quite a list of names exiting stage left.

6. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Yeah, and her counterpart in Charlotte kept his job ... I've got a good idea why ...

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

OK, I'll bite....why?

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and the profession keeps eating its own.

9. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Because he was the protege of the guy who has taken over as the exec. SE of both papers ...

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Suits don't care about quality unless it's a bottom line.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I do prefer the term "forceouts" to "buyouts" because many of these are nudges, with the implicit understanding that, uh, you might not like your next assigned duty very much if you choose to stick around. And even if they happen to leave you alone, you can end up demoralized looking at the carnage around you.

I'm elated for folks who take their separation pay and promptly begin a new job or a new life. But I know a few people who went the buyout route, failed to land anything during the year (or whatever) and now are scrambling. They weren't screw-ups about burning through the money or watching soap operas all day, either, just hard-pressed to find legit jobs that utilize their skills and experience.

That is not offered as a reason to avoid a buyout -- everyone is different, and to hell with a workplace that keeps its employees only because they'd have rocky times on the outside. But the difference between those bought out and those laid off is very slight after a pretty short time period.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

With that, this thread should be locked down. Excellent job Joe, excellent.

Draft saved Draft deleted