1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News from Riverside, Calif.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From The Pipeline:

Patricia Mays, the lone black female sports editor in the country, was among those to take the buyout offer at The Press-Enterprise in Riverside.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

There goes the neighborhood. Heard good things about Ms. Mays. It is disheartening to see so many minorites leaving the industry. Diversity appears to be a thought of the past.
    It's also sad to see someone, no matter what gender or color, taking a buyout.

3. Moderator1

Half agree.
    Buyouts? Some people take them and walk right into good, new situations. I maintained my last two years at the paper that I would have been first in line.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Did Patricia have something else lined up or what?

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Perhaps they should call them forceouts. It's one thing if you are presented with an option to a windfall lump sum. It's another if you are nudged to take that windfall lump sum. There is a difference.

6. Moderator1

I don't know what she has lined up - and I don't think (but admit I do not know) she was forced out. Like Drip, I have heard good things about her and I think they liked her there.
    But with the way the business is going, I can't believe there's a mid-level manager anywhere who isn't asking, "Is it time to find something else?" With what happened to Sherry Johnson in Raleigh, no one can think they are safe.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Moddy:

I know a bunch of folks there. Any more word on others from the Vaunted Pipeline (patent still pending)?

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I know I have missed something and I'm not attempting to threadjack, but what happened to Sherry? She was a very nice person. I didn't know her personally but have met on a few occasions.

9. Moderator1

She was laid off.
    Their choice, not hers. Charlotte and Raleigh became one big happy section, with one person leading both.

Still checking Birdscribe, still checking.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Wow. This business is sucking something very bitter. Thanks for the update. I didn't know she was a casualty.

11. Moderator1

Sherry was the one that made it crystal clear to me - quality does not matter.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

From anonymous poster at http://reporter-g.blogspot.com/

About 30 people have already taken staff buyouts: Environmental reporter Jennifer Bowles, Higher Education Elaine Regus, Crime GA Jose Arballo, Riverside GA Gregor McGavin, military reporter Joe Vargo, Corona GA Jerry Soifer, Corona reporter Paige Austin, Fast Food Dude Jeff Girod, Angels beat reporter Matt Hurst, Temecula editor Linda Woodbury Murrieta reporter Rocky Salmon, Temecula schools reporter Claudia Bustamante, Arts reporter Pat O'Brien, business reporter Joe Ascenzi, San Bernardino reporter Mary Bender, Desert reporter Steve Moore, photographers Amanda Lucidon, Ramon Owens, Steve Medd to name a few.

Hurst already lined up an SID spot at UC Santa Barbara.
    Regus, Arballo, Vargo, Soifer -- a former prep sports reporter -- and Moore all have around 20 years at the PE.

Draft saved Draft deleted