1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News from Chicago

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 8, 2008.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

They're getting to the point where some of the suburban dailies are looking just as appealing as the Trib. Daily Herald and NW Herald are looking pretty good lately. :)

2. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

I believe that Steve Franklin is the brother of Baltimore Sun executive editor Tim Franklin.

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

False. Neither one covers any of Chicago's pro teams on the road (with few exceptions). The only advantage either has is preps.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Skip is a tremendous loss...

5. Bruce Miles

Bruce Miles New Member

Actually, the Daily Herald covers the vast majority of the game's of Chicago's pro teams on the road. I've been on the Cubs beat since 1998, and I've missed a grand total of about 10 road games, and at five of those, we hired a local writer to cover them. We cover most of the White Sox' road schedule, and more than half, probably two-thirds of Bulls and Blackhawks road games. We've cut back a bit in recent years but the statement above is the one that's false.

6. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Hence the "with few exceptions" caveat I added. I'm well aware you cover the Cubs on the road, Bruce. I read your paper daily for more than a decade when I still lived in the area. I'm sure you know better than I do regarding the Bulls and Hawks, but it seemed like I saw an AP byline a lot more often than I saw one for McGraw or Sassone when they were on the road. Perhaps it's changed since I left the area.

EDIT: Upon further reflection, I suppose I used the wrong adjective when I said rarely. But it can't possibly be argued that the Daily Herald covers the Chicago pro scene more in-depth than the Trib. Therefore, unless you're really into preps, I can't see what appeal the DH would have over the Trib. The Sun-Times ... that's a different story. Hell, I think they used AP for some Hawks home games in recent years. That paper hasn't been the same since Conrad Black and the audit.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

When I would talk to Ed Hinton in a past life, his quote/possible slight paraphrase to me about covering Daytona: Give me Skip Myslenski and Rich Biebrich, and we will be just fine. I don't need Orlando's 10 golf writers asking me what a restrictor plate is.

Now, in a span of less than a year, none works at Tribune anymore.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

... ... ... ... ... ... ...

(The sound of Sam Zell, Randy Michaels and Lee Abrams shrugging. They're not running a newspaper museum, damnit!)

9. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

It's gotten so bad that I don't wanna click on the journalism topics anymore.

You know this is coming. You know there's more.

Fuck.

10. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

Skip ruled. Long live Mt. Nakiska and the NCAA convention in Nashville...

_ an old sharer of the foxholes of the business

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth.

12. NISB35

NISB35 New Member

As a young prep writer, I'm sorry to see Temkin and Sutton go. I have enjoyed reading Temkin's columns each week as he is one of my influences in this biz.

Draft saved Draft deleted