1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News from Chicago

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And of course it isn't good. Buyouts were accepted and people were shown the door. Today.

From Sports: Skip Myslenski, Ed Sherman (though he will finish PGA coverage this weekend), Barry Temkin (Prep columnist), Alan Sutton (prep writer) and Mark Shapiro (copy desk).

Word is involuntary layoffs will come next week or so.

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

That's terrible news, they're all good. Barry Temkin actually spoke at a high school journalism conference that I went to years ago. He was great.

3. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

WBBM-AM reporting more than 100 leaving from the newsroom. No breakdown on voluntary/fired, or the time span involved. But it'll be quick.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

FUCK.

Skip is one of my favorites.

Will this madness ever end?

5. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

It's 80 rather than 100, says Crain's Chicago Business, referencing a Tribune flack, but some big names:

(Crain’s) — The Chicago Tribune’s managing editor for news, its Washington bureau chief and its public editor are leaving Friday as the paper begins a new round of newsroom cuts.

Hanke Gratteau, who was promoted to managing editor in May; Michael Tackett, who has covered every presidential election since 1988, and Timothy McNulty, who has been public editor since 2006, head a list of staffers who are leaving voluntarily.

Including involuntary layoffs, which also started Friday, the Tribune expects to cut a total of 80 newsroom positions.

---

Will whoever's left please water the flowers on Col. McCormick's grave? You know, the one that's spinning?

6. I will miss seeing Skip at the Kohl Center (in between his smoke breaks) each winter. Good guy.

7. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Wow. Just wow.

I've talked to Skip quite a few times on the Big Ten trail. He will be missed.

All of those names will be missed.

A sad, sad day for one of my favorite papers.

8. bake1234

bake1234 Member

I'll also miss Skip. Covered the powerhouse that is Northwestern football with him this past season, and I crossed paths with him covering college basketball and auto racing. Good guy with good stories to share.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Skip AND Ed?

I remember when Eddie was THE conscious of college football... damn... nice going Zell you fucktard...

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Skip, Ed Sherman, Sam Smith.....lot of talent bought out because of poor management.

I can only shake my head.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Wonder if the 80 means 60 actively held job and 20 positions that already were vacant? That was the original plan.

Skip once had one of the best jobs in this business and was revered for his results. But being a takeout writer meant being a seriously endangered species as space and budgets got cut.

As for JBHawkeye's quick list: Let us not forget Don Pierson, either. He got snubbed in his request for a buyout in 2007, so he left anyway.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Once again, forward-thinking suits cut the prep guys as the season is upon us...

Draft saved Draft deleted