1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News Corp to challenge ESPN?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I read somewhere, but can't remember where, that Speed might just be rebranded as an all sports channel.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Either Speed or Fuel would be rebranded. Fuel HD was just added to my cable system, probably because of UFC.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It took 30 years for ESPN to become what it is. Fox can't duplicate that overnight. And ESPN had the advantage of being the ONLY cable sports network in its infancy. By my count, I have over 20 national or regional sports networks on my cable service right now. Harder for plants to grow in a crowded field.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

My money is on Speed. It appears they're trying to position Fuel to attract the young male demos, especially if Spike moves away from them as has been rumored.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I could see CBS Sports going down first. Unlike NBC Sports and presumably the Fox Sports nets, CBS Sports is mostly on the digital tier. Versus, for its flaws, still made it on most basic tiers, and if Fox rebrands Speed, same deal. That's going to put them a distant third in the national ESPN contender derby.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have to get the second-highest level of Dish to get SPEED. And since it's necessary for my job, not real thrilled about it.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Can you "Business expense" it and get work to pay your cable bill? You can always claim it on taxes as well.

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

so does this mean Tim Tebow is about to get his voicemail hacked?

9. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Based on what I've seen, I wasn't aware that SPEED actually had, you know, actual races on. (I know they have Formula 1 practices/qualifying and Truck Series races, but it does seem like 90 percent of their shows are NASCAR studio shows or vaguely car-related reality/game shows.)

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Readily-understandable (your distress, not the fact that the proprietors actually have the confidence the public will stand for such a gouge for such tripe . . . )

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Next on GeraldoSport: Girl fights at soccer games - can they be stopped? [/crossthread]

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Don't forget what a large presence Murdoch/Fox has in international soccer. A larger platform and a more comprehensive coverage plan could go a long way toward building a new sports channel. There is a very good core of Americans and immigrants who wouldn't bother with MLS but would happily consume a steady diet of EPL and other European games involving the top stars in the world.

Draft saved Draft deleted