1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News and sports reporter (Fitchburg, Mass.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stitch, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Big Galoot

Big Galoot New Member

Sure 30K is doable, if you've got a second income or a roommate/roommates sharing the bills.

But you probably won't put much away for savings.

The key mistake I never made, but often saw friends my age making $30K or less do, is buy a new car. Pretty useless waste of money.

Like an earlier poster said though, it would take a lot more than $30K to make me go back and work under the McMenemy administration again.

It's not the amount of work (a lot) at all. It's the fact you just can't ever have any fun there and are perpetually in fear for your job, even if you're doing great work.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Uh, I'd love to make about $450 after taxes per week. I currently make $300 to $350 a week work, although I'm only paying $200 in rent a month because I'm living with my parents. Before that though, I was normally getting $375 a week, and that still worked economically, although barely:

Monthly income: About $1500
    Rent: $625
    Elec: $30 (I was never home)
    Cable and Internet: $40
    Student Loans: $125
    Car Loans: $100
    Insurance: $75

That left about $500 a month for some combination of heat, eating and laundry. It's not a great way to live, but it's manageable, and I wasn't eating ramen and pasta sides every night. Pretty much everyone in this business has some sort of horror story about breaking in, so while I think we might be at a historic bottom right now, it's not like being a journalist was full of champagne wishes and caviar dreams before.

Draft saved Draft deleted