1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News and sports reporter (Fitchburg, Mass.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stitch, Jun 30, 2009.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

You can probably guess whose 5-year-old was involved.

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

When I worked there, it wasn't so bad. But a few things have changed in the ensuing 10 years.

3. Big Galoot

Big Galoot New Member

I stumbled across this board and thread and joined up mainly to reply to it.

Nobody except a suicidal masochist need apply to any job at this paper. The editor rules it with an iron, no an adamantium fist.

The level of micro-managing he does must be unparalleled throughout the industry.

You want to hear horror stories? There's only about a billion, so maybe bullet points are better. Fair warning, I was more on the news side so if there are specific sports dept. behaviors I may be unaware of them.

-- In my two years there he fired 30-40 people, or prompted them through his behavior to leave. This is for a paper with an average total newsroom staff of about 20.

-- He leaves for the day at around 6 p.m. and calls in to "check in" with every editor at least three times EACH per night. This includes going over every headline and changing most, usually at about 15 minutes before press time, which is around 10:45.

-- He is suspicious of any story idea not generated by himself. Pop culture stories are relegated to things he stumbles upon at the local record store. For example, a large Justin Timberlake display for his new record led to a front page feature, complete with editor-ordered man on the street reaction.

-- He makes innumerable spelling and pagination errors, yet naturally goes mental when he spots a typo missed by an employee.

-- He has claimed to work "100 hours a week" and therefore easily bats away even a hint of a complaint from any employee about long hours or workload. Yes, 100 hours, aka 7 days a week, 14-15 hours a day. I think he is including his commute and the constant after hours phone calls as "work."

-- His "editing style" includes a mandate that all paragraphs in a story may have only one sentence. This, he says, "is AP style."

-- His other editing tool is the delete button, used very very heavily.

Gotta run, part II

4. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Any updates on this one?

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If it's filled, expect another vacancy is 2-3 months.

What type of people work at this shop and why is the editor still there?

6. supabassmon

supabassmon New Member

Any idea what the salary range is here?

7. Big Galoot

Big Galoot New Member

Q: What type of people work at this shop and why is the editor still there?

A: A lot of really good and cool people actually. Just unsuspecting ones eager for a first job in journalism. The editor is still there because .... that's a mystery to a lot of us who've gone through the Sentinel's meat grinder.

Q: Salary range?

$25,000-$30,000 to start for reporters.

8. supabassmon

supabassmon New Member

Who the hell can live off that salary? 25-30k? What a joke..Might as well be pumping gas

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Sadly, that would be more than competitive for a (kinda) entry level position. I see a lot of weeklies offering 20k to 25k.

10. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

You'd be surprised. Property in some parts of Fitchburg goes pretty cheap. Buddy of mine used to rent in the Cleghorn district for about $300 a month...though it is Cleghorn.

11. supabassmon

supabassmon New Member

Here's the Poverty Level..
    The 2009 Poverty Guidelines for the
    48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia Persons in family Poverty guideline
    1 $10,830
    2 14,570
    3 18,310
    4 22,050
    5 25,790
    6 29,530
    7 33,270
    8 37,010
    For families with more than 8 persons, add $3,740 for each additional person

12. supabassmon

supabassmon New Member

So basically, if you have a family..this is an unlivable salary...

Draft saved Draft deleted