1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News/Ad issue

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gil_Hicks, Jul 12, 2007.

1. joe

joe Active Member

And that's where we lose any claim to legitimacy, because if the reader can't tell if it's an ad or a story, everything in the paper becomes suspect. And if everything is suspect, well, then we're fucked.

2. This really is bad. What's to stop them from using your headline fonts in their ads? Jesus. Can see it now stripped across the bottom of your metro front in your impact font. "Charlie's Chicken Shack the Best Chicken in the World!!!"

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

A lot of posters here have missed the point of Gil's concern – about content, not purely about positioning.

That's not good, the situation you describe. But I suspect plenty of us will be dealing with similar stuff as we move ahead.

4. No we won't. Sorry, Gil, but your newspaper sucks and you need to get the hell out of there. Once you start deliberately confusing advertising with your news content then you're thoroughly fucked as a news provider. If this is the future of newspapers then there is no future.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I know. That should at least go on the opinion page.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Section front ads are here to stay.

It's the failure to discern the advertiser's apparent part of being The Scoop that is Gil's valid concern.

It is clear someone above your newsroom management does not care about your concerns, though.

So it is time to start asking some great Q&A questions such as:

"Why does my urine have a weird odor after I eat asparagus?"

"How do some foods become completely digested and others, like corn, do not?"

"How much fiber a day is needed to maintain regularity?"

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

I think the last sentence should have been in blue font.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

ME should have put his foot down and refused to run it there. Let corporate or the publisher bitch and moan.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Charlie's Chicken Shack the Best Chicken in the World!!!

You mean like this? :D

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Damn, forgot to use typographer's apostrophe. Hang head in shame again ....

Draft saved Draft deleted