1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newport News (Va.) ASE

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by NickMathews, Mar 4, 2008.

1. NickMathews

NickMathews New Member

The Daily Press, an 88,000-circulation newspaper in Southeastern Virginia, has an opening for an assistant sports editor. The hire will act as the night supervisor, guiding a seven-member desk staff, updating our web site, providing first-reads on stories and designing pages. We want someone who knows what it takes to complete a story: What is the question that hasn’t been asked, what photos do we need, what graphics would help the reader.

We are looking for a proven leader, so management experience is preferred.

We are an APSE-award winning section that covers the University of Virginia, Virginia Tech, William and Mary, Hampton University, Christopher Newport University, 50 high schools and several major events — NASCAR, IRL, LPGA — that come through our area.

If interested, send work samples, a resume and a cover letter explaining why you are the best candidate for the position to Sports Editor Nick Mathews, 7505 Warwick Blvd., Newport News, Va, 23607. You also may email resumes to nmathews@dailypress.com.

Deadline for resumes is Friday, March 21.

Please, no phone calls.

A note: I recently was promoted to Sports Editor, following the departure of board favorite and great guy Doug Roberson to Atlanta. This position is my old job, with added responsibilities.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Congrats on the promotion.
    I wish Richmond would hurry up and do the same and promote the guy left holding the bag when the previous clown of an SE there bailed.

3. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

Congratulations to Nick. A meteoric rise from the mean streats of Pekin, but a well deserved one. Look for this sports section to become one of the best, if not the best, in the country for its size.

4. Larry Graham

Larry Graham Member

Nick's cool people and this would be a great gig. congrats again!

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. John

John Well-Known Member

A hearty round of applause for Nick, who is a super guy and the best designer I've ever worked with.

[​IMG]

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Don't know the guy, but from what I've heard, the DP made a wise decision. Congrats.

8. John Kaltefleiter

John Kaltefleiter New Member

Congratulations, Nick. It's about time they yanked the interim tag. Good luck. Let us know if we can ever do anything for you.

Oh, and for those interested in the ASE in Newport News, Va., Nick would be a great guy to work for. He and I were in the trenches together in Athens, Ga., and he was arguably the best ASE we ever had. He's a young guy who knows his shit.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Congrats on the promotion, buddy. Do well. :)

10. DougRoberson

DougRoberson Member

Not only is Nick a smart and energetic journalist, but the rest of the staff is top-notch.

Having worked with most of the folks for quite a while, whomever gets this job couldn't ask for a better situation in which to be to able to positively contribute to one of the most interesting sections for its size in the country.

11. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

You're so f'n biased. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted