1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newport News paper suffers more layoffs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by big green wahoo, Jul 25, 2008.

1. I'm told, though I haven't confirmed, that the Newport News Daily Press sports dept. lost two copy editors and a reporter and had another reporter moved to news. Part of more Zell layoffs/shuffling. Only six or seven sports writers left in that department if I count correctly.

I'm also told, though I find this amazing, that the DP no longer has a black reporter in the entire news room.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Don't know about the last part but the first part is true. The number on writers is six.
    I don't have names.

3. The last part is true - and it's a damn shame considering the demographics out there.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

SIX writers for an area that big?

Jeebus Cripes.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

That can't be right.
    That creates a helluva first six months for the new SE.

6. I'm told preps man Jason Jordan has been sent on his way. He hustled and really got into his beats. I'm sure he'll do the same with whatever paper is lucky enough to get him next.

And with six writers, I don't know what the DP plans on covering. I'd say you need at least three to do a good job on preps, which is bread and butter on the Peninsula. Then you've got Va. Tech, UVa., the Redskins, etc. Heck, there's even a lot of interest in Old Dominion hoops and the start up of the Monarchs' I-AA football program.

It will be fascinating to see how they ``do more with less''.

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

We're all assuming that the buyouts and layoffs mean more with less. But is it possible that at some of these shops it means more with different/cheaper?
    Just curious.

8. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I don't know about the other areas, but they didn't cover the Redskins at all last year, at least not during the week. The Pilot isn't covering them anymore either - not since Jim Ducibella retired - and it looks like they're using WaPo/AP coverage.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Don't forget Hampton and William & Mary - both quality I-AA/FCS programs. I've seen DP folks at Norfolk State games, too, and I would imagine Christopher Newport would pretty much fall by the wayside (not that I'm sure they got much coverage anyway).

10. Moderator1

The Jordan news is correct. I think David Squires still works in news?
    I'm hearing other names but nothing firm. The six writers part is true and while the six left are all good, it isn't enough.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Just awful news. That's a top-notch sports department and some very fine individuals. I feel terrible for Jason. I covered one event with him a few years ago, and he seemed very comfortable where he was and was certainly damn good at his job.

12. Moderator1

Sports at one time had three black reporters - Michael Wright is in Jax covering the Jags, Squires was a deputy editor in sports and is now in news and Jason.
    Not sure of the ethnic makeup of the news staff there. If Squires is no longer there, someone please let me know.

Draft saved Draft deleted