1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newly available: Kate Winslet

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by finishthehat, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

[Spoiler!]

Double curses! Wiki tells me it's Iris!

She should have gotten one for Revolutionary Road too, even though that movie was meh. I know she's one of only two the only actress to ever win a Golden Globe and not be nominated for Best Actress for the same role (because she was already nominated for The Reader and the Academy doesn't do double noms).

2. partain

partain Member

I know you're not all big Simmons fans on here, but his line about how he would promote The Reader will forever be stuck in my mind:

"You get to see Kate Winslet naked, repeatedly."

Obviously you get to see her naked in Titanic as well. But I've always thought she looked incredible in her first appearance in Titanic, when she lifts her head up and you see her for the first time.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If we're just talking about time in the bedroom, you probably could've stopped there.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Now that Winslet has an Oscar I'd like to see her in a real comedy, not a romcom but something by the Farrelly Bros. - something trashy.

The nice thing about JLH is dating her also gets you a job on Ghost Whisperer.

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

She was also great as herself starring as a nun in a Holocaust movie in Ricky Gervais' Extras.

Andy Millman (Gervais): I think, you know, you doing this is so commendable -- you know, using your profile to keep the message alive about the Holocaust.
    Kate Winslet: My God, I'm not doing it for that. And I don't think we really need another film about the Holocaust, do we? It's like, how many have there been? You know, we get it -- it was grim, move on. No, I'm doing it because I've noticed that if you do a film about the Holocaust - guaranteed Oscar!

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

What a week.

Could it be that not only is Ms. Winslet available, but Sandra Bullock may be warming up in the bullpen, too?

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/people-magazine-jesse-james-sandra-bullock-marital-troubles/story?id=10126396

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

In Touch Weekly talked to the girl. Beware of personal details about Mr. James.

http://www.intouchweekly.com/2010/03/in_touch_exclusive_interviewsa.php

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hope the story about Bullock is false. There are a few Hollywood marriages you want to root for.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Damn, that sucks for Sandra.

But hey, want to know the surest way to break up your marriage or long-time relationship?

Win an Oscar for Best Actress.

Let's go to the tape...

Kate Winslet won, then she and Sam Mendes split

Reese Witherspoon won, then she and Ryan Phillipe got divorced

Swank won, forgot to thank her husband, Chad Lowe, then she won again, thanked him first, and then got divorced shortly after.

Halle Berry won, setting the stage for her to one day be looked upon fondly as the worst actress to ever win an Oscar, then split with Eric Benet

Julia Roberts won, then ditched Benjamin Bratt, her boyfriend of three years.

Helen Hunt won, married long-time boyfriend Hank Azaria, then filed for divorce two years later.

Holly Hunter got divorced from her Polish director husband after winning.

Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branaugh got divorced after she won.

In fact, if you throw in Susan Sarandon (Tim Robbins), Charlize Theron (Stuart Towsend), Gweneth Paltrow (Ben Affleck, who got thanked in her Oscar speech!), Jodie Foster (unknown non-celeb lesbian) and Kathy Bates (non-celebrity), all of whom are no longer with the person they were married to, or living with, when they won.

(It's a little tough to know for sure with Foster, since it's only speculation when she started her partner and when they split.)

The only actresses since 1990 to win and stay married or domestic partners with someone are Jessica Lange, Francis McDormond, Helen Mirren and Marion Cotillard.

4-of-19. With Sandra possible on deck.

Ouch.

And in case you think it's just the state of Hollywood marriages, the men have a much better track record.

Jeremy Irons, Tom Hanks, Geoffry Rush, Roberto Benigni, Russell Crowe, Denzel Washington, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Daniel Day-Lewis, Forrest Whiticker, and Jeff Bridges are all still married.

Sean Penn is still technically married, but we're not counting him. Other than to mention he's a douche.

Brody, Foxx, Spacey, Pachino and Nicholson have never been close to marriage or public domestic partnership, as far as I can tell. Hopkins and Cage split with their spouses after winning but are both currently hitched.

10. From the previous postings in this thread, I must be the only one here who doesn't see the allure of Ms. Winslet.

When Patrick Wilson cheated on Jennifer Connolly with Winslet in "Little Children," it reminded me of Michael Douglas cheating on Anne Archer with Glenn Close in "Fatal Attraction." You had steak at home, boys!

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Hmmm. A possible explanation: Either (A) She wins and says, "I'm an Oscar winner. What am I doing with this asshole?"

OR

(B) He can't deal with her success.

A possible explanation: Some men like big boobs.

12. A possible explanation: Some men like big boobs.

Then, I would suggest looking at the two Jennifers again.

Draft saved Draft deleted