1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newly available: Danica Patrick

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Nov 20, 2012.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't know Starman ... you go to a NASCAR track and her souvenir trailer(s) are crawling with people buying that stuff. She's got a pretty good base of people who'd like to see her do well. I'm not a fan, necessarily, but it would tickle the hell out of me to see her win a race (or even better, get into the Chase).

NASCAR as a marketing tool is far more volatile than it used to be. Sprint's pulling out, and I recall hearing some rumblings about Budweiser not sponsoring a car. The days where you have the same sponsor, week in and week out, for years seem to be long gone.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

In this day and age of social media, you can get more mileage out of a "no means yes" media campaign than you'd get from an expensive NASCAR sponsorship.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm kind of surprised GoDaddy stuck it out as long as they did. All they can get from this kind of sponsorship is name recognition and they've pretty well maxed out on that. People may buy Budweiser regularly because they sponsor a certain driver, but no one is buying up web domains because GoDaddy sponsors a driver.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Without a sponsor to bring along, Patrick will have it tough finding a ride. Without a ride, Patrick will have it tough finding a sponsor. My guess, she drops down to a second-tier team.

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

It would be funny if GoDaddy drops Danica due to wanting more international marketing, only to have Danica be named the Haas Formula 1 driver for next year.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

franticscribe and doctorquant like this.
  7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted